123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac minis and iMacs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: New Mac minis and iMacs? Reply with quote

Anyone care to guess when they might be coming out? It seems like they overdue at this point. Plus, the new iPhone and iPods are out of the way.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be late October. If not by then, they'll probably skip over the holidays here in the US and go with early 2013.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, but our warehouse is empty of iMacs. Apple still seems to be producing them though. We are slowly receiving a few at a time. The last batch had Aug 31 build dates.

Mac minis are still easy to get.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the refurbished entry-level Mac minis were easy to get right now. I've been trying for about three weeks to get one for my parents. I have them totally talked into switching! Very Happy

I know they aren't a huge savings over "new" models, but I'm buying it for them.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read that some analysts predict that Apple will sell ten million iPhones in the third quarter? It is big sales numbers like these that really make me think Apple will dump the Mac Mini.

These phones are getting powerful. They cost much more than the basic Mac Mini. The Mini doesn't sell very many units by comparison. Why does Apple even keep it around? They certainly don't advertise it anymore. I've seen full size iMac ads but those are rare.

The Mac Mini is my favorite Apple computer. If I were to buy another Apple computer the Mini would be it. I already have a good screen and an Apple keyboard (not my favorite). The reason I would go with the Mini over the iMac and Mac Book variants is the size. I don't need a laptop. All Apple needs to do is give the Mini the most up to date chips AND add some USB 3 ports. I love that it uses so little energy too.

Does anybody feel that Apple will quit making the Mini soon?
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Did you read that some analysts predict that Apple will sell ten million iPhones in the third quarter? It is big sales numbers like these that really make me think Apple will dump the Mac Mini.

These phones are getting powerful. They cost much more than the basic Mac Mini. The Mini doesn't sell very many units by comparison. Why does Apple even keep it around? They certainly don't advertise it anymore. I've seen full size iMac ads but those are rare.

The Mac Mini is my favorite Apple computer. If I were to buy another Apple computer the Mini would be it. I already have a good screen and an Apple keyboard (not my favorite). The reason I would go with the Mini over the iMac and Mac Book variants is the size. I don't need a laptop. All Apple needs to do is give the Mini the most up to date chips AND add some USB 3 ports. I love that it uses so little energy too.

Does anybody feel that Apple will quit making the Mini soon?
No it is quite popular and people can afford to buy them.It is durable also more than the MBP and Airs. Big mistake if Apple got rid of this model.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
These phones are getting powerful.

The iPhone 5 CPU benchmark score is double the benchmark score of the the CPU in my G4 mini and it's nearly as fast as the 1.83GHz C2D in my 2007 Mac mini.

So yes, they are getting VERY powerful.

Couple that with the fact that with TV, you can mirror to your TV...

Yes the mini has a strong competition with iOS devices.

When you look at it this way you can easily see it being phased out.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
No it is quite popular and people can afford to buy them.It is durable also more than the MBP and Airs. Big mistake if Apple got rid of this model.

Marv, as much as we like our minis, they aren't very popular. They probably account for less than 5% of all of our Mac sales (and that's being generous, I'd say it's more like 2%.)
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
They probably account for less than 5% of all of our Mac sales (and that's being generous, I'd say it's more like 2%.)

That might be true in your area, but the Mac mini is actually one of Apple's best selling systems worldwide. In fact, more times than not, it's the best selling desktop system on Amazon.com. Here in the US and in the UK (currently at this moment). The refurbished models also sell out faster than any other Mac in the Apple store. They are in really high demand.

I'm not saying that it's the best selling Mac all together though. Those stats are tight between the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. But as far as desktops, the Mac mini is holding its ground against the iMac, and outperforming sales of the Mac Pro. I have been told this before by my sister (who works for Apple in California) and by members of our club that worked in Apple stores. In Hawaii, Washington and California.

As for the iPhone 5 benchmarks. All I can saw is wow! Shocked
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iOS devices totally outsell Macs by a wide margin. So why single out the Mac mini for being put to pasture based on that fact? Plus, it's their only system being promoted for the server and enterprise markets. Are they going to give that up without the Xserve? You never know, but I kind of doubt it. JMHO
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
They probably account for less than 5% of all of our Mac sales (and that's being generous, I'd say it's more like 2%.)

That might be true in your area, but the Mac mini is actually one of Apple's best selling systems worldwide. In fact, more times than not, it's the best selling desktop system on Amazon.com. Here in the US and in the UK (currently at this moment). The refurbished models also sell out faster than any other Mac in the Apple store. They are in really high demand.

I'm not saying that it's the best selling Mac all together though. Those stats are tight between the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. But as far as desktops, the Mac mini is holding its ground against the iMac, and outperforming sales of the Mac Pro. I have been told this before by my sister (who works for Apple in California) and by members of our club that worked in Apple stores. In Hawaii, Washington and California.

As for the iPhone 5 benchmarks. All I can saw is wow! Shocked

The demographics where I live are certainly different than the rest of the world (oil rich Alberta) so that may have something to do with it, but the trend is the same for our other Canadian stores. Maybe it's a Canada thing. Most of our Mac mini sales are sold through our corporate department. MacPro sales are practically non existent in retail, corporate sells a few (not many lately seeing they are dated), but yes they sell more Mac minis.

In 2 years I've sold less than 10 minis. Thats about 1 weeks worth of any other model.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I singled out the Mac Mini because it seems to get the least amount of love from Apple. It takes them forever to upgrade it sometimes and it has been a really long time since I've seen a TV advertisement for one. It does seem like Apple could dump the computer market all together and still be super profitable.

I suppose that Apple now thinks of their computer branch as the add on to the iOS devices. People might consider buying a Mac to go with their iPads and iPhones. The Mac seems more and more like an entertainment device, which is fine I guess. I mostly use my Mac for internet use. I do some photo work and much more video work. It is still a tool for me but I could use my Ubuntu computer for the same work.

How many iPhones does Apple sell for every iMac? If Apple can move far more phones per unit of time than a computer and make a whole lot more profit, then Apple could redirect those computer factories to make more phones and earn even more profit faster. That is what a business is created to do. Maybe Apple keeps the computer branch around just for the prestige.

If Apple becomes successful in the TV world in a big way then what reason will Apple have to keep the computer division around? They'll make it so that the TVs will connect to the iOS devices. Those powerful iOS devices are just a step or two away from becoming equal to desktop and laptop computers.

A long time ago I though of the iOS devices as halo devices for the computer business. Now I think it is the reverse.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
I singled out the Mac Mini ... it has been a really long time since I've seen a TV advertisement for one.

A long time ago I though of the iOS devices as halo devices for the computer business. Now I think it is the reverse.

I've never seen a Mac mini commercial.
Anyone have a link?

I don't understand your halo effect comment.
iOS devices still certainly have a halo effect, resulting in Mac purchases. I've never seen it go the other way around. People love their Macs, but I've never seen anyone purchase an iOS device because they love their Mac. The odd time is spins over to iPad purchases, when people want to try to replace their MacBooks with something lighter.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
marv777 wrote:

Marv, as much as we like our minis, they aren't very popular. They probably account for less than 5% of all of our Mac sales (and that's being generous, I'd say it's more like 2%.)
I still think Apple will keep this model for a while before being dropped from their line.It is used for Home Theatre and music quite a bit.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
I still think Apple will keep this model for a while before being dropped from their line.It is used for Home Theatre and music quite a bit.

True and I think it makes the best HT/music server.

That being said, the Apple TV has certainly put a dent in this area. We sell about 10 TVs every day. They sell like hotcakes. People just come in the door and ask for them. TV sales are seeing exponential growth. They get more and more popular every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: