123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Native Windows 7 on the latest Mac Mini. Issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roveer1

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Native Windows 7 on the latest Mac Mini. Issues? Reply with quote

So we have been running windows xp nativly on old Mac Mini's for the past 6 years. Long in the tooth. Time to upgrade.

We still like the Mac Mini platform and want to do this again of possible.

So I'm looking to purchase the latest i7 Mac Mini's (I'm guessing these are the 2013 or possibly 2014 products). Can't remember if Apple refreshed in 2014 or not.

I want to put 8gb inside and change out the hd to a 128GB SSD. We connect to a server so nothing other than the OS and apps are installed on the local machine. No data is stored there at all.

So I just wanted to make sure before I started buying stuff that I can install Win 7 on this platform. Keep in mind. I'm not doing any sort of boot camp install, no apple OS will be on the box. Just native Win 7.

[[[update]]] I've done some poking around and it seems that the EUFI bios makes things difficult for installing/booting win 7. I plan on using the 64 bit version of professional. It seems like it can be done but most of the stuff I was reading was pretty old. Would love to hear from someone who has some first hand knowledge. Thanks.

Is this going to work? Problems that you might see? Alternatives I should consider?

I know I'm paying a slight premium over say HP hardware, but we have been very happy with our apple equipment over the years and the footprint is just right. Loss of the DVD drive is not a big deal. We have other ways to deal with that.

[[[[edit]]]]

I just did some poking around and it appears that the current Mac Mini is several years old? I thought there was an update recently but I guess not. Some have said there may be something released at WWDC on June 2nd and since that's only a few days away I'm going to wait and see. Truth be known, even if there is not, going from a circa 2007 MM to the current model for desktop use is a pretty huge step. These are not power users so even this type of upgrade is a good thing. BUT... If there is something only a few weeks away, it's worth knowing. At very least, if something new is announced I could possibly save some money on the current model.

Thanks,

Roveer
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Native Windows 7 on the latest Mac Mini. Issues? Reply with quote

roveer1 wrote:

So I'm looking to purchase the latest i7 Mac Mini's (I'm guessing these are the 2013 or possibly 2014 products). Can't remember if Apple refreshed in 2014 or not.

Actually the latest model mini is a late 2012, nothing new since then.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Native Windows 7 on the latest Mac Mini. Issues? Reply with quote

deleted double post.
roveer1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wanted to follow-up on my original post. I got a i7 2.3ghz mini. I also got a 240GB SSD and 8GB of memory.

The memory and sdd swap were easy. I also got a USB DVD Drive. It booted the Windows 7 DVD with no problems, installed no problems.

I downloaded the bootcamp assistant from the apple website, unzipped it put it on the MM and ran setup. It installed all the drivers.

This is a native windows 7 only machine. No OSX is installed.

Very happy with the result.

Roveer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: