123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best monitor DP vs DVI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soondae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Best monitor DP vs DVI Reply with quote

I have decided to retire my Windows PC and go full time with my Mac Mini. I had been using the mini as an HTPC via HDMI on a 42" LCD television, that job is passed to my Jailbroke ATV2.

I currently have an HP W2408 which supports HDMI and DVI interfaces. I will not use HDMI for my monitor as I realize that the DVI interface at 1900X1200 will be much better. That is the native resolution of the HP.

I am considering purchasing a new monitor going with a 27" IPS, however I am unable to find the specification sheet of the Mac Mini with Intel 3000 video DVI output to see if it will support the 2550X1400 native resolution of the 27" IPS monitors. Do any of you know if the mini could drive this monitor?

I also have the option of purchasing a model that supports Display Port but it costs about $100 more than the DVI only model. I know DP out from the mini will support the 2550X1400 monitor. Do any of you have experience using the two interfaces? I'd like opinions if it is worth going display port or if DVI interface is just as good.

TIA
soondae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this response which makes sense on an Intel Forum:

Intel graphics does not support dual-link, therefore 1920x1200 is the maximum for DVI and HDMI, 2560x1440 is only possible with a displayport port. This is stated in every specification sheet.

So it looks like if I go with the 27" IPS I must purchase the Display Port model!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: