123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switched Outlets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Switched Outlets Reply with quote

Is it OK to put things like a computer / TV / Stereo ect on a switched out let

of corse after the computer has been shut down -- i'm just looking to keep my standby electric cost low

Thanks
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Switched Outlets Reply with quote

Rockysv wrote:
Is it OK to put things like a computer / TV / Stereo ect on a switched out let

of corse after the computer has been shut down -- i'm just looking to keep my standby electric cost low

Thanks
Why don't you get yourself a multiple surge protector .I would not chance it .
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before going through all of that, buy a Kill-a-Watt and measure how much power is really being used. There are other things you can do to conserve power without switching them all off. Turning off the power to most TVs will require you to go through the setup process, assuming it's a newer non-tube TV.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of green power strips. We sell one but I can't remember the name, basically what it does is...
Provides constant power to 4 of the outlets and green power to the other 4. Once you have the items that you don't need constant power to plugged into the green outlets and they are in their sleep or off power mode, you press a program button on the strip. Once the devices are back in that state the power strip knows not to send power to those devices.

To answer your initial question. Yes you will run into issues. Your Mac's clock is running on battery. If you don't mind taking your Mac apart every few years to change the intel battery, then there is no issue other then what the members above mentioned.

Google vampire power/smart strip if you want product info.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
i know my cable box needs to be on all the time - when i tried the switched outlet with that it takes 3-5 min to go on -- the TV on the other hand uses 25w on stand by - getting that on the switched outlet had no problems-with settings-
and i have a DVD / Stereo all together in one room i have 35W of stand by use--x 24 x 365--i could cut that to 3hrs a day
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SPP3226WA-Outlet-Energy-protector/dp/B002JCSCTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344805912&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+smart+power+strip

this is pretty good. has a master outlet with four slave outlets and an always on outlet.

so in the case of rockysv

let the tv be the master the cable box always on and the rest as slave outlets. it will save money

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that looks good
castaway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripp Lite makes an ECO surge protector that gets fairly positive reviews. I was looking into one a couple months back, but decided to get a UPS. I ended up buying one from a company called CyberPower. It claims to save up to 75% electricity over standard models.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=4494

http://www.cyberpower-eu.com/products/ups_systems/value/value400e_gp.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: