123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voiding your warranty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Voiding your warranty Reply with quote

If you use another brand of memory to install in the new Mac Mini I was told be a sales rep over the phone you will lose your warranty if the memory screws up anything inside the Mac Mini. He told me Apple is the only memory will never ruin anything in the MM. Is this true or not? Thanks
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is how too avoid this...

1. keep your original memory.

2. if anything goes wrong just reinsert the original memory

they cannot tell
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple can use bad memory, just they use "approved" DIMM's that most likely aren't tested very thuroughly other than to see if they work. If anything does happen to the system AND the cause can be traced to non-approved DIMM's then your warranty is voided. That said RAM is VERY rarely going to cause a system issue that isn't the fault of something else, realize RAM is on a recieving end of power so it can only send the same amount of power down the line as it receives, if a RAM slot is damaged it will most likely be the fault of the power supply or the mainboard being faulty unless you were trying to overclock the RAM. The most likely source of damage to the solid state parts of the system trace back to the power supply or someone operating outside of the recomended ranges (overclockers, people doing stress tests). Now what is there to stop a company from trying to blame everythign on the RAM? Absolutely nothing.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: ram Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Apple can use bad memory, just they use "approved" DIMM's that most likely aren't tested very thuroughly other than to see if they work. If anything does happen to the system AND the cause can be traced to non-approved DIMM's then your warranty is voided. That said RAM is VERY rarely going to cause a system issue that isn't the fault of something else, realize RAM is on a recieving end of power so it can only send the same amount of power down the line as it receives, if a RAM slot is damaged it will most likely be the fault of the power supply or the mainboard being faulty unless you were trying to overclock the RAM. The most likely source of damage to the solid state parts of the system trace back to the power supply or someone operating outside of the recomended ranges (overclockers, people doing stress tests). Now what is there to stop a company from trying to blame everythign on the RAM? Absolutely nothing.
So the Apple Rep was telling me a lie to get more money from me to buy their ram in essence.I was thinking of buying Kingston ram which is much cheaper than Apple.Thanks
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea but be careful still some ibm memory is over clocked so if you notice your mini's fan being always on full throttle it's the new memory nothing you did wrong but kingstons very rarely have this issue you should be fine
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Yea but be careful still some ibm memory is over clocked so if you notice your mini's fan being always on full throttle it's the new memory nothing you did wrong but kingstons very rarely have this issue you should be fine

RAM itself isn't overclocked, it might be rated for a higher frequency than the port actually is but in order to overclock RAM you have to change the settings for the mainboard, not the DIMM's themselves, you can almost always use higher frequency RAM, but using lower frequencies isn't a good idea.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ram Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:
So the Apple Rep was telling me a lie to get more money from me to buy their ram in essence.I was thinking of buying Kingston ram which is much cheaper than Apple.Thanks

Yes, Apple wants you to buy their overpriced upgrade, it's like buying college textbooks from the university's bookstore.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ram Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
marv777 wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:

Yes, Apple wants you to buy their overpriced upgrade, it's like buying college textbooks from the university's bookstore.
Exactly what frequency should I buy from Kingston which will not mess up the fan speed in the MMini? Thanks
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation, the same frequency that is currently installed. Go to "About this Mac" to find that.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: