123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My phone took a bath!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: My phone took a bath! Reply with quote

So, I'm on the way home from work two nights ago and talking with the wife on a Samsung GS II phone. The phone slips out of my hand and goes straight into a full Solo cup filled with ice water in the center console. Speaker end first. I yank it out of the cup and take battery out of it right away. Get home, dry it off with a hairdryer, and put it in a bag of rice for the last two nights. Went to fire it up tonight and it's dead. Just my luck! Now, what phone to I replace it with? I'm actually more interested in the Galaxy S3 than the new iPhone coming out. I like the big screens, not just long ones. Laughing

PS. Anyone here ever lose a phone from water damage?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but I've seen many come into our shop. It's pretty common.
I see a lot with pin corrosion even if they weren't dunked. Sweat, sitting in cupholders etc.

If you consider an iPhone you may want to consider AppleCare Plus. You would have got a new phone for $49? It covers liquid damage as well as breakage.

Btw nice shot. Wink 2 points
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Btw nice shot. Wink 2 points

Laughing

I was actually going for the three pointer. Very Happy

I bet you see a lot of phones coming in like that. You check them with like a little light, right? To like see if the water things have changed color. Something like that.

I think that I'm going to go with the Galaxy S3 over the weekend. I don't have time to wait. I also think that I'm hooked on larger screens now. Even though it looks like new iPhone will have a larger one. I don't think that I would be interested in the 4 or 4S as this point either. Just because of the size.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we have a light. It's the same type that a doctor would use to look into your ear. It magnifies and illuminates.

So many people come in saying it never got wet. Perhaps they didn't realize it, but the sensor never lies.

Often there is corrosion on the 30 pin dock connector and the sensor isn't tripped. Maybe the dock connector got wet and then the iPhone got plugged in. Who knows. We live in a very dry climate, so it's not from the air. Likely people are taking them into the bathroom just incase it rings while they are having a shower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: