123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacMini as AppleTV media server...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgardito

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: MacMini as AppleTV media server... Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a MM2009 at home, hooked to my TV. I use XBMC and Apple Remote with Sofa Control. I have a Voyager Q Sata reader and I have all my movies across several hard drives which I swap.

I Will be staying for two years in PA (I live in argentina) while I attend graduate school.
I won't be taking my MacMini with me, just my MBP.

Now here is the thing...
I have an Apple TV at my place in PA, but I have to leave my MBP ON using it as an iTunes Home Sharing server. I would like to have some permanent setup. I think I have 3 choices:
1) An old mac mini just to host iTunes
2) A crappy Pc with Linux hosting some sort of iTunes server service
3) A Hackintosh

I would like the cheapest option possible. I will have my media on several harddrives that I hook using a Sata Reader.

Thanks...
soondae

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you Atv is a version 2 then I suggest you jailbreak it and install firecore. Best to set up an Network Attach Storage solution to span your hard drives on the network to the ATV2 using the Firecore Media Player or XBMC installed via Firecore on the ATV2. Then all your XML files will look pretty on the ATV2 and you won't need another PC or Macmini.

If you have an Atv ver 3 then you are outta luck as they can't be jail broke. Your best bet then is a Mac Mini with Plex Server or XBMC serving up you media.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: