123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow SSD boots - whats wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Slow SSD boots - whats wrong? Reply with quote

I have two Intel 520 Series SSDs in my Mac mini because of speed and silence - but here 6 months after installing it's getting a really slow boot time compared to freshly installed.

Earlier it was 18 seconds till login, now it's 48.
How could it gain 30 seconds on 6 months?

Is there anything wrong?

I only use one SSD as the main drive, the other is for recently used files - having backup and external storage for more important things.
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out why.. Ever since I last backed up my entire computer and tesetd the backup I have forgot to set the internal volume as boot - so its been looking for a boot volume ever since = slow... Doh!! Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT0MAC wrote:
Found out why.. Ever since I last backed up my entire computer and tesetd the backup I have forgot to set the internal volume as boot - so its been looking for a boot volume ever since = slow... Doh!! Smile

I did that to a demo machine at work once.

It was funny because another sales person rebooted the MBA to demo how fast an SSD could boot and it took about 45 seconds. It was fun to watch him struggle, while I knew what the issue was Smile

I'm glad you figured it out. You would have had slow boot times forever.

The easiest telltale sign is the length of time it takes for the Apple logo to appear. It takes forever when looking for a boot drive. Once that appeared (because a boot drive was found) your machine booted quickly.

How long did you have it set to boot from the external boot drive (first) before you figured out the issue? When was your last clone backup.
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bandit Bill"]
AT0MAC wrote:

The easiest telltale sign is the length of time it takes for the Apple logo to appear. It takes forever when looking for a boot drive. Once that appeared (because a boot drive was found) your machine booted quickly.

How long did you have it set to boot from the external boot drive (first) before you figured out the issue? When was your last clone backup.

Exactly, as soon as the Apple logo appeared then it took no time to boot.

It's been going on like this since the 1st of august, but I have had some little holiday away from home so have not really thought so much about it until now when I am home again and it turned really annoying.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's not too bad. At least you know what to look for.

I know my demo machine was booting slow for a while and then it clicked as to what I had done. Same thing I booted from an external and never changed the boot drive back to the internal. I thought it would take care of itself.

I can see why it may be an advantage the way it is set up. Lets say you often boot from an external, all you have to do is plug it in and boot. Perhaps that may be the way you want things.

That being said, I'm still kind of shocked it takes 30 seconds for the system to recognize there is no external boot drive attached.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: