123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Airport Express does not support Vista?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick_cultrara@optimum.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: New Airport Express does not support Vista? Reply with quote

Has Apple dropped Vista support?

I have Windows Vista but the new Airport express seems to require Windows 7?

I have a Windows 7 PC but its not directly connect to my cable modem. Connected through a powerline adapter.

On the Windows Vista machine there is no update for Airport Utility 5.6.

Am I correct in assuming that the Extreme and Time Capsule updates will also not support Vista?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple clearly indicates Windows 7 SP1.

Now that doesn't mean you can't use Vista machines on your network, it means that the Windows version of the Airport utility requires Windows 7 SP1.

edit: not so "clearly". It's in the instructions, but not printed on the box.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bandit Bill.

I am a little confused because up untill recently Best Buy and a few other retailers had the system requirements as low as XP.

Tried going to a Best Buy just to read the box, but they are sold out.

So I guess I can attach the Express to the powerline adapter and configure it through the Windows 7 machine?

Sorry for my ignorance, I am assuming if I hook it up to my Vista Machine it would not be recognized the same way my older express was.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick_cultrara@optimum.net wrote:
Thanks Bandit Bill.

I am a little confused because up untill recently Best Buy and a few other retailers had the system requirements as low as XP.

Tried going to a Best Buy just to read the box, but they are sold out.

So I guess I can attach the Express to the powerline adapter and configure it through the Windows 7 machine?

I have the 2012 Airport Express box in front of me right now. It doesn't list the Windows requirements on the box, but it is in the manual.

To set up AirPort Express using a Windows PC, you need:

A Windows computer with a 300 MHz or higher processor and Wi-Fi certified wireless capability (to set it up wirelessly), or a Windows computer connected to the AirPort Express with an Ethernet cable (to set it up using Ethernet)

Windows 7 (SP1)

AirPort Utility for Windows v5.6.1 or later

-----

I see no reason why you can't attach it to the power line adapter, but I would connect it directly to the Windows 7 machine's ethernet port to avoid potential issues.

Best of luck, it's a real nice product. I just set one up in my home last week. It works much better than the 2.4GHz Linksys Cisco router I was using.

BTW if you have an (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) with iOS 5.0 or higher, you can also set up the Airport Express with it. Just download the Airport Utility app from the App store.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See now that sucks!!!

Microsoft told developers that they will support there machines for another 10 years with xp and with vista but no one else will support them with hardware kinda lame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
See now that sucks!!!

Microsoft told developers that they will support there machines for another 10 years with xp and with vista but no one else will support them with hardware kinda lame

Well, if anybody is going to support Windows for 10 years of course its going to be Microsoft.

But isn't Microsoft supporting XP reluctantly because so many have resisted upgrading?

At some point Apple has to let an older operating system go (especially one that is not thier own) because trying to get newer tech to work with older operating systems is probably a waste of resorces.

Of course Apple is gearing up for Windows 8 so they probably decided having Vista support also is too big a range to deal with.

That being said I have to give Apple credit. My 2nd gen Airport Extreme works better with my windows machine the routers I have had by belkin, linksys and D-Link, routers made to work specifically with Windows.

Its this fact that made me take Apple pretty serioulsy. Though I have not made the complete switch yet, I plan on it in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: