123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project: G4 cube resurrection For old school gaming pleasure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Project: G4 cube resurrection For old school gaming pleasure Reply with quote

So The project begin's.

I decided i wanted a iconic apple product for a classic gaming machine my idea is very very extreme.

Here is the project:

I recently purchased a old coffee table version pac man machine basically it is a dead arcade machine and i do mean dead as in doornail i have gutted the machine the lcd dead the mainboard fried the case will work for what i need it for.

So i am going to resurrect this machine with a twist i am going to build the ultimate arcade mac center.

So i will get started with daily posts here i am also in the process of building a new deviant art page with pictures and daily updates is coming.

Day 1: My purchases Begin!!!!

I went into amazon.com and purchased a G4 Cube the current specs as follows.

Apple Powermac g4 cube 450 mhz
Ati 128 rage pro (dont really care because most old school games except harry pothead will run on this.
20 gig hard drive
640 gig's ram
comes with 9.0.2 installed
and 10.0.3 installed
includes power supply

cost me 129.99 plus shipping

Also decided to purchase 512 megs additional memory not bad at 14.99 free shipping.

Total will give this machine 1.2 gigs of ram.

I am also planing on maxing the hard drives key word drives i plan on installing 120 gig internal hard drive and a external via firewire 1 tb hard drive for storage of video and other items music etc.

I am currently going to purchase a ADC monitor from my local Recycle pc store at 50.00 i decided why not go for the original monitor that this was designed to run with same with keyboard and mouse .

I am estimating the total cost for this amazing mod to run 700.00 to 800.00

I will begin this mod once my computer arrives and i upgrade the machine.

and once i get my paycheck next week.

I will be posting a rough draft drawing of the mod i have in mind and post the image to deviant art here within the next 4 days i have to work.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 2 Update:

My G4 cube arrived with some nice goodies i was just expecting the g4 cube and the power supply what i got was the old white style pro keyboard and the older single click pro mouse awesome just waiting on my memory to show up found out that the previous owner didn't know anything about this machine.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3: Update

Playing catchup because i was at a friends birthday party over the week end my memory arrived i disabled the airport card slot on the mac g4 cube due to the fact the orange ribbon cable was in bad shape and i don't need it and i don't need electric shorts happening on this machine i got to check the system specs today and got some surprises.

the system specs where wrong on the amazon listing here are the updated specs.

Apple g4 cube 450 mhz
160 gig hard drive
1 gig of ram (had to remove faulty pc100 out of computer)
running 10.4.11

working on the deviant art page it should be up and running soon i was hoping to call it the amazing g4 cube project.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update Page online now at:

http://g4cubeproject.deviantart.com

Come and view daily pictures and updates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: