123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Speed Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Video Speed Question Reply with quote

I use 10.5.8. I watch TV shows and some news reports with my computer. I don't even turn on a TV anymore. I can open a page with a video and play it. Most of the time it works OK. If I click the icon in the player that enlarges the video to the full screen view, the video will become very choppy and unwatchable. If I magnify the screen on the computer using the control button and the scroll wheel I can make the image fit the screen. It will play just fine without many hiccups. Why is that?

Smallwheels

P.S. I have another interesting bug that doesn't affect the computers operation. When I restart the computer it doesn't make any musical start up sounds. It did when it was new but it just stopped a long time ago. Windows has several opening sounds and Linux has them too. How do I turn on that start-up sound?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound good.

Apple always dong start-up if they are not your volume control is turned all the way down and you need to turn it up however the video issue might have to do with your processor are you running intel or power pc macintosh power pc macintoshes are no longer supported so your flash player might be giving you issues with the video you are trying to watch.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound good.

Apple always dong start-up if they are not your volume control is turned all the way down and you need to turn it up however the video issue might have to do with your processor are you running intel or power pc macintosh power pc macintoshes are no longer supported so your flash player might be giving you issues with the video you are trying to watch.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM. The hard drive is 160 GB and has over sixty GB free. The graphics are built in Intel GMA X3100.

The sound volume of the computer remains at almost half way. It has external speakers plugged in to it. There just isn't any start up sound and hasn't been for a long time. It has no effect on the computers operation. I just miss it.

If the Flash player is having problems why do videos play fine when I magnify the entire screen? They have problems when I use the full screen buttons. This is for just about all things that aren't Youtube or Netflix. Youtube does have a bit of a slowdown sometimes. Netflix doesn't have that problem but perhaps that is because the resolution is low. Netflix does use Silverlight.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Sound Card Failing Reply with quote

The intensity of your Startup Sound doesn't have anything to do
with any volume setting you can access. It sounds like your Sound
Card is failing.

Can't help you with the Stuttering Video issue. My older Intel mini
did the same thing. I would simply not expand it to Full Screen.
So I would use it Almost Full Screen but not quite.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it is strange that a video that I magnify using the scroll wheel while holding the control button down plays fine but clicking the icon that enlarges the screen causes stuttering.

All sounds do work fine. The volume buttons and on-screen slider control work fine. There just isn't a start-up sound as the Leopard desktop screen comes on.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Startup Sound and Video Reply with quote

Yah, I noticed that. Whenever I Full Sceen
EyeTV it does the same thing. It plays
poorly. If I don't quite go Full Screen
then it plays just fine. Don't know why.

The Startup Sound is Firmware. The only
way I know of to silence it is to disconnect
the Sound Board. So it would follow that if
you are not hearing a Startup sound their
must be something wrong with your Sound
Board. All other sounds should also have
problems. Since they are fine that would
suggest a Firmware problem.

When was the last time you repaired permissions?
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Video Speed Question Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
How do I turn on that start-up sound?

You can try the following, it will hurt nothing and just might fix your sound problem.
---------------------
Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
1:Shut down the computer.
2:Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3:Turn on the computer.
4:Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5:Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6:Release the keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: