123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mountain Lion Downloads Top Three Million

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Mountain Lion Downloads Top Three Million Reply with quote

Mountain Lion Downloads Top Three Million
Monday, July 30, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple today announced that downloads of OS X Mountain Lion have exceeded three million in four days, making it the most successful OS X release in Apple's history.

"Just a year after the incredibly successful introduction of Lion, customers have downloaded Mountain Lion over three million times in just four days, making it our most successful release ever," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.

Mountain Lion is available through the Mac App Store as an upgrade to Lion or Snow Leopard users for $19.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1864.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news and it shows that the online distribution method is paying off.

It's a little unfair to compare it to Lion's release. Many people wanted to upgrade to Lion, but had to install Snow Leopard first, or upgrade RAM to install Lion. Most people already have the App store icon, Apple i.d.'s and 2GB of RAM, so the transition went a lot smoother. Lion still needed some updates and those who need Rosetta support are still running Snow Leopard. Anyone running Lion had little to lose by installing Mountain Lion.

That being said, I love the online distribution method. Many people cursed when it first came out, but I haven't heard any complaints this time around. The world has quickly become accustom to online distribution. I don't even think Apple made a USB version of the OS this time around.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was skeptical at first too. I have no problems with the process after upgrading to Mountain Lion though. And it's the future, so there's no turning back anyways.

I'm surprised with the total number of downloads. I actually thought that number would be much higher. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million or like a million per day. Didn't Lion do like a million per day at first?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
Didn't Lion do like a million per day at first?

It did 1 million on it's first day, but took 2-3 months to reach 6 million.

From wiki
Lion... final release via the Mac App Store on July 20, 2011. Apple reported over 1 million Lion sales on the first day of its release.[11] As of October 2011, Mac OS X Lion has sold over 6 million copies worldwide.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how these uptake numbers compare with Windows 8. I bet they will be considered to be very strong in that context. Even though I think Windows 8 is a more substantial and interesting upgrade.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
It did 1 million on it's first day, but took 2-3 months to reach 6 million.

Wow, Mountain Lion is off to a rock solid start then.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that it's impressive considering that the system requirements have been increased from Lion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: