123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with iTunes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roveer1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Help with iTunes Reply with quote

I know there are probably a lot of other places I should ask an iTunes question but I have an account here so I figured I'd give it a try.

this is concerning iTunes running on windows 7

I wanted to move my iTunes library from the local music folder on my win 7 to my NAS drive to trim down the data on my pc. I followed a guide that told me to make sure I had checked keep iTunes media folder organized then to do a Library "organize". It all seemed to work just fine. I deleted the iTunes folder on my local drive assuming everything had been transferred. When I opened iTunes today there was no music there. In fact in the new location there was no .itl file at all. I next added all the music back into iTunes and it is now appearing as it should BUT it's still storing all the artwork and the library files in the old location on my local drive. When I go into preferences advanced and look at the location it clearly shows the NAS drive (which is a mapped drive).

What have I done wrong? I really want everthing concerning iTunes stored in iTunes directory on my NAS not on my local machine.

Thanks,

Roveer
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cannot store them on a Nas sorry only on usb external hard drives a as doesn't work fast enough to play music from sorry
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
you cannot store them on a Nas sorry only on usb external hard drives a as doesn't work fast enough to play music from sorry

This is patently untrue and yet another example of how bad your help can be. I have been doing exactly this for about 10 years. An compressed audio format is often transfer of single digits of MB over 3-5 minutes. Even an uncompressed file is still a very small amount of information to transfer. Where do you come up with this stuff? If you are going to completely guess and act like you are the final authority, I would suggest not answering.

Roveer, googling "move itunes folder NAS" will get many hits. This one seems pretty good:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/how-to-offload-your-itunes-library-to-a-nas/
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

This is patently untrue and yet another example of how bad your help can be. I have been doing exactly this for about 10 years. An compressed audio format is often transfer of single digits of MB over 3-5 minutes. Even an uncompressed file is still a very small amount of information to transfer. Where do you come up with this stuff? If you are going to completely guess and act like you are the final authority, I would suggest not answering.

Roveer, googling "move itunes folder NAS" will get many hits. This one seems pretty good:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/how-to-offload-your-itunes-library-to-a-nas/

You are correct. Look at this knuckleheads (and I am being kind) post history. He is a moron without equal.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And did you happen to notice any issues with the information they give you.

1. your nas has to never go into sleep mode for it to work bad idea when your has fails from overheating and leaving it on for extended long periods of time.

2. the iTunes library is hidden in windows so you have to find the hidden folder and not the one thats in the user name my music folder but the one thats hidden in iTunes itself.

and if you have any network problems the iTunes application will crash and hang.

a usb drive however can be used on any machine and the iTunes library can be transferred to any machine without it being locked by NTSF Partitioning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: