123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PowerbookG4 15" Aluminum 1.5 GHZ display problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zedtvl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: PowerbookG4 15" Aluminum 1.5 GHZ display problem. Reply with quote

Hi I have an old PowerbookG4 15" Aluminum 1.5 GHZ at start up, the screen has a rosy color instead of the usual grey then, when the is running the display show some horizontal lines when .

The pram battery is dead as well as the battery.

The logic board passed the hardware test as well as the Video RAM.

If I play a DVD it does not seem to act up.

Could it be just the PRAM battery which need to be changed?

Thanks for your answer
DrakkenWar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: PowerbookG4 15" Aluminum 1.5 GHZ display problem. Reply with quote

[quote="zedtvl"]Hi I have an old PowerbookG4 15" Aluminum 1.5 GHZ at start up, the screen has a rosy color instead of the usual grey then, when the is running the display show some horizontal lines when .

I hate to say it, but you might have a PB with a failing video chip. While I have the same PB with no issues, I have seen this before on my G3/800,900 and G4/550 TiBook.
While there were some DIY fixes with the G3's there is really no such luck with the AI's aside from a sysboard replacement.

I don't now what you financial situation looks like, but I would start looking for a suitable replacement as soon as you can.

" Live Free Or Die" -New Hampshire
----------------------------------------------------------
(2011 i7Mini/i7/4GB/10.7.4)
(2005 PB/15"/1.5/2GB/10.5.Cool
(iPhone 3GS/16GB/iOS 5.1.5)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a new laptop sorry to say....

it sounds like the on board video relay is going out powerbook g4's had a relay that distributed power to the graphics card when the relay malfunctioned or starts to fail you get a rose coloed screen or my most unfavorite a completely dead screen get your data off of it while you can a.s.a.p
richardtj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re Powerbook screen Reply with quote

It's the screen. Solder joints are failing on the back of the Powerbook's 15 inch screen. Afraid the screen may cost you more than the value of the powerbook. The A1095 is valued at about $70 and the screen itself will cost you some $100 new.[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: