123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Mac mini Reply with quote

What kind of adopter do I need to use a DVD player from my Mac mini to my Samsung monitor to watch movies? Thanks marv
saul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think of your TV as a monitor with built in speakers. Normally just an HDMI cable will work. If you have an older TV without HDMI or an older Mac mini without HDMI then you need the adapter cables.

What version TV and mini do you have? Then we look at options.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: mac mini Reply with quote

saul wrote:
Just think of your TV as a monitor with built in speakers. Normally just an HDMI cable will work. If you have an older TV without HDMI or an older Mac mini without HDMI then you need the adapter cables.

What version TV and mini do you have? Then we look at options.
I have the 2011 mac mini with 500 HD and a samsung Monitor 18inch led.I want to hook the DVD pennsonic I have into the Mac mini to watch movies from the samsung Monitor. That is it. Thanks.
saul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I mis-read your original post.

Unless your DVD player has a USB output (unlikely) you won't be able to hook it up to your mini. What most people do is buy a DVD USB drive. Apple's is $79 while other brands are $30 and up.

To use your current DVD player you would need to buy a HDMI to VGA or similar converter and attach the dvd player to the monitor. Something such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008N4201 They also make other converters depending on the model of your monitor and player.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Mac mini Reply with quote

saul wrote:
Sorry, I mis-read your original post.

Unless your DVD player has a USB output (unlikely) you won't be able to hook it up to your mini. What most people do is buy a DVD USB drive. Apple's is $79 while other brands are $30 and up.

To use your current DVD player you would need to buy a HDMI to VGA or similar converter and attach the dvd player to the monitor. Something such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008N4201 They also make other converters depending on the model of your monitor and player.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately where I moved here in the Philippines I do not know if they even know what this is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: