123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini in Trouble- Screen Flashing, freezes, crashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigaguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Mini in Trouble- Screen Flashing, freezes, crashes Reply with quote

I first had Firefox crashing every few minutes. I thought it was the FF update I did a week ago. But then I was using iMovie and the screen became unstable, was flashing large black overlays onscreen and froze, and iMovie also crashed a few times. My widget for istat also had lost it;s background. I tried to export the imovie project I finished, and the Mini kept crashing.
Unfortunately my extended warranty ran out in April. Only hack I've done is upgrade RAM and hard drive about 3 years ago.
I think it's the 2.0 dual core Mini from early 2009?
I was hoping to get a new Mini when the new OS comes out but would like to fix this one.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth swapping and re-seating the RAM sticks? Just to see if that changes the behaviour?

Sounds like a RAM, graphics or motherboard problem to me. Uneconomic to repair, unless you're lucky and it proves to be just new RAM needed. Sad
gigaguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that same idea came to me too. but I wonder why last week Firefox kept crashing and not the Mac itself. I thought it was a FF problem but now see it is effects imovie and the widgets. I haven't used any other programs tho. I guess I will check the RAM if I clear it to sell after I get a new Mini.

My work is selling some 2009-2010 27" iMacs for $300, so I put an order in on one, but may have to do a drawing for it. Not my favorite Mac but a steal for $300, has ext warranty too.
I really want a new Mini, but I guess there will be no hardware changes for Mini this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: