123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

64GB SDHC and SuperDuper working like a charm!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WOOFITS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: 64GB SDHC and SuperDuper working like a charm! Reply with quote

ADMISSION: I've never been responsible backing up my Mac. I've relied on manual backups to an external 2.5 drive for the past few years. But months go by between backups sometimes.

Last month my trusty 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo's motherboard died. I swiftly replaced it with the cheapest 2.3Ghz Core i5, and have been more than happy with the increase in processing power.

I bought a 64GB 45mb/sec SDHC a few weeks ago and configured SuperDuper to automatically backup the mini at 2am every night. Voila! It works great. I still have to manually backup my huge iTunes library and media directory onto the external drive, but to have the rest of my mini backed up every day makes me feel like a real grownup (I'm 47 BTW).

The SDHC card is a little slower than a USB 2.0 connection w/ an external 5400rpm drive. It took about 3-4 hours to backup 50GB of data for the first time. Incremental backups only take a few minutes, but who cares, it's 2am and I'm asleep anyway! If I had sprung for a 90mb/sec, the speeds might be more comparable.

Anyway I searched for someone using their SD card for this purpose and could find no discussions on it, so I thought someone might find my experience helpful.
strawbale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 64GB SDHC and SuperDuper working like a charm! Reply with quote

Well, I found your experience useful!

After I added CCC clones to my incremental TM backups (see http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31658), I thought I'd try to (also) have away of 'quickly' backing up/copying files onto a SDHC card or USB stick.
Reading up on in on the net I got the impression that, in general, modern/newer USB sticks are slower when it comes to copying lots of smaller files.
I already had a pretty good USB2 card reader (Transcend) with a 8GB class 6 SHDC in it (also Transcend). Just bought a USB3 (USB2 compatible) card reader (Transcend) with a 16GB class 10 SDHC (Sandisk Extreme).
Comparing these 2 set ups (plugged into the USB2 port of my Matias USB2 keyboard) with a USB2 ext 5400 rpm HDD, I got:

small files (5,4 GB 42413 items thus 135 kB/item on average):
ext HDD: 9 min
8GB class 6 (in older USB2 reader): 16 min
16GB class 10 (in nexer USB3/USB2 reader: 10 min

medium files (4,7 GB 1520 items thus 3 MB/item on average):
ext HDD: 5,5 min
8GB class 6: 9 min
16GB class 10: 5,5 min

So pretty much what you experienced!

Happy to see that for 'quick' backups I can use a fast SDHC that's permanently plugged into my keyboard instead of switching on an ext HDD.

WOOFITS wrote:
ADMISSION: I've never been responsible backing up my Mac. I've relied on manual backups to an external 2.5 drive for the past few years. But months go by between backups sometimes.

Last month my trusty 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo's motherboard died. I swiftly replaced it with the cheapest 2.3Ghz Core i5, and have been more than happy with the increase in processing power.

I bought a 64GB 45mb/sec SDHC a few weeks ago and configured SuperDuper to automatically backup the mini at 2am every night. Voila! It works great. I still have to manually backup my huge iTunes library and media directory onto the external drive, but to have the rest of my mini backed up every day makes me feel like a real grownup (I'm 47 BTW).

The SDHC card is a little slower than a USB 2.0 connection w/ an external 5400rpm drive. It took about 3-4 hours to backup 50GB of data for the first time. Incremental backups only take a few minutes, but who cares, it's 2am and I'm asleep anyway! If I had sprung for a 90mb/sec, the speeds might be more comparable.

Anyway I searched for someone using their SD card for this purpose and could find no discussions on it, so I thought someone might find my experience helpful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: