123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best correct way to use flash drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: best correct way to use flash drive Reply with quote

Hi, Just bought/received a PNY 16GB metal attache flash drive. (never use FD before) With no user manual I plug it into a USB slot from my mini and it shows up on desktop and in Finder. I tried to figure out how to store/copy data/file into the drive by 'drag' it to the drive. It worked and the original file remained in my HD! And I can 'move it to trash' from the drive too! (all very fast cause the file is small)

I wonder if this is the best/easiest/safest way to use flash drive?

Another question: will this FD work with MS pc machines after data/files copied from a mac? (transfer data/file from mac to pc) Will there be format issue when transfer between mac and pc?

Thank for advice.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the part about you moving the file to the trash, but yes all you need to do is drag and drop the file from your desktop to the Flash drive.

Your flash drive will have come formatted to FAT, so yes a Windows machine can read and write to it as well. You just won't be able to save files larger than 4GB (which likely will not be an issue).

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
saul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default when you drag a file to another drive it does a copy.

For a usb drive make sure that you unmount it before pulling it out of the USB port. Do this by dragging the drive icon to the trash. Or right-click and select eject.
fiat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Thanks for verifying drag & drop method and the format issue. (I was trying to erase/delete a copy file from FD by right click/select 'move to trash' and it worked as deleting files in HD. Don't need to actually drag the file to trash can.)

Saul, Thanks for reminding eject thing. Now if I just plug in a FD and work a bit (copy some data) and then leave to do my main work with my mini w/o ejecting and unplug FD for a long time, what complications could be to my mini or FD? If bad, can I just eject w/o unplug my FD? Or it's a must that I eject and unplug FD when I finish working with it? (I tried this: I eject FD but keep it plug-in and later I put mini to sleep. After waking up, FD turns on again! ...)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping a flash drive plugged in is equivalent to leaving an e external hard drive plugged in and leaving the power switch to the drive in the on position. No harm done. If you eject the flash drive it will remain ejected until you reboot the mini. It would then remount itself upon reboot.

Bottom line is the flash dri. Can remain plugged in as long as you want. The only potential issue is if you are using it as a backup and it is your only backup. A power surge could destroy the mini along with your flash drive. Same circumstance if you mini is stolen, burnt or flooded.
fiat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Thanks again. I don't use FD for backup (use external HD for TM backup). So guess I'll keep plug-in FD ejected if not transferring right away.
fiat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new (hopefully the last) question: if I eject FD but keep it plug-in, later when need it again, is there any other way(s) to turn it on except by unplug and replug FD from USB slot? (already know the annoying way: put to sleep and awaken) Thanks
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly under disk utility you can have it search for drives and they will remount. I'm on my iPad not my Mac I can't check for you right now.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes: if the FD is inserted (but ejected), opening Disk Utility will still list it on the left, and there is a "Mount" button on the toolbar, which will make it re-appear on the desktop and in Finder.
fiat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie, No, it's not listed on the left pane of Disk Utility if ejected (but still plugged in). At least in OSX 10.6.8 (SL) of my mini, DU can't find the ejected FD and list it. Are you referring to Lion or ML?

Bill, I couldn't find anything under DU to search the ejected, but plugged FD. Please verify. Thanks
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to use a flash drive here is what i have done because i have a external nas drive to do so.

i format the usb drive in fat 32 so it is easy to use for mac and for windows i then created a 8 gig dmg file so i can make backups of my thumb drive month to month i have a total for 12 8 gig files stored on a 4 tb nas storage solution 1 for each month.

this was my solution for not losing data all though not the most cheapest solution it works for what i use it for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: