123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got a MacBook Pro!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albert2k

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Got a MacBook Pro! Reply with quote

This is the configuration of what I purchase:
13-inch, Early 2011
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

This was a demonstration from Best Buy, this cost me $699 with 2 years of replacement warranty with best buy. This came with 4GB of RAM and I put an extra that I purchase time ago for my Mac Mini. I start to using the laptop to complete my mac trio, iPad 2, Mac Mini and now this MBP. I have only two days with this and I love it. How I can live without Apple, hahaha.
Macbook Air - 1.8GHz - Intel Core i5
4GB Memory - 250 GB Hard Disk
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it at a very good price.
Congrats!

It should still have Apples original 1 year warranty as well.

I know when we sell our demo units, warranty starts when the end user purchases the unit. AppleCare is still an option as well. At that price I'd pass and take your chances. It's nice that BB offered 2 years.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun i wouldn't have done that.

Let me explain.....

See buying a display model is a wonderful idea but i really don't trust best buy's warrenty program see about 1 year ago my friends went to best buy and purchased a display model iMac for 999.99 got a really good deal for it and best buy offered them the 2 year warranty but it's not apple's warranty there for if anything goes wrong that best buy and there geek squad cannot fix or repair or replace... you have to go to a apple store but apple doesn't recognize best buys warranty that is where you get shafted so in less then 1 years time the Imac failed they went back to best buy and wow what a surprise they couldn't fix it and where told to go to the apple store this is why i recommend you should have paid the additional 100.00 for the apple warranty but the reason best buy didn't sell you apples was because the machine you purchase was most likely out of apples warrenty period and worse cannot be registered with apple care.

So enjoy your laptop.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Bill on this, congratulations it looks like a nice deal.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
albert2k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is a good machine and about the warranty, If I need it, believe me, I'm going to obtain it from Best buy in one way or another.
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

albert2k wrote:
Thanks, this is a good machine and about the warranty, If I need it, believe me, I'm going to obtain it from Best buy in one way or another.

I'll ask at work today about how the warranty on demo units works. I also know that warranty can be reset on returned items if needed.
I'd want both Best Buy and Apple warranty.

BTW Best Buy warranty is through an insurance company. If a warranty claim is approved they direct you to an Apple Authorized service center (like us). I know we have performed warranty work for Best Buy. The insurance company pays us to do the work.

I try to get a bit more info for you today (if I remember).
albert2k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
albert2k wrote:

I'll ask at work today about how the warranty on demo units works. I also know that warranty can be reset on returned items if needed.
I'd want both Best Buy and Apple warranty.

BTW Best Buy warranty is through an insurance company. If a warranty claim is approved they direct you to an Apple Authorized service center (like us). I know we have performed warranty work for Best Buy. The insurance company pays us to do the work.

I try to get a bit more info for you today (if I remember).

thanks
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the info.

This is what happens with demo units.

Initially when a demo gets set up the computer is registered with Apple upon set up. The reseller then must fill out forms and send them to Apple when the is sold. The Apple warranty is then reset from the date that the customer purchases the unit.

Now with that being said. There are limitations. Lets say a demo unit has been on display for 9 months, even if the model is current, the reseller must fill out forms to reset the warranty. Meaning the warranty may even run out on the reseller while the demo is in store. I didn't get the details on the exact time that this needs to take place, but the bottom line is is some cases it may be too late to reset the warranty if the reseller wasn't keeping on top of their paperwork.

You can call Apple and ask if your unit has warranty or if you give an Apple Authorized service center your serial number, they can tell you.

Perhaps there is still warranty and perhaps it can be reset, if it hasn't already been reset.
albert2k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I got the info.

This is what happens with demo units.

Initially when a demo gets set up the computer is registered with Apple upon set up. The reseller then must fill out forms and send them to Apple when the is sold. The Apple warranty is then reset from the date that the customer purchases the unit.

Now with that being said. There are limitations. Lets say a demo unit has been on display for 9 months, even if the model is current, the reseller must fill out forms to reset the warranty. Meaning the warranty may even run out on the reseller while the demo is in store. I didn't get the details on the exact time that this needs to take place, but the bottom line is is some cases it may be too late to reset the warranty if the reseller wasn't keeping on top of their paperwork.

You can call Apple and ask if your unit has warranty or if you give an Apple Authorized service center your serial number, they can tell you.

Perhaps there is still warranty and perhaps it can be reset, if it hasn't already been reset.

Thanks Bandit, I will check with apple but I have the paper that read that I have two years warranty with bestbuy, and this include, lost, drop, liquid spill. This in Puerto Rico is a contract and Bestbuy must comply with that contract, but I must keep secure the warranty paper. I hope nothing happen. I have another equipment with that type of warranty and I never have problem with bestbuy in Puerto Rico for repair or replacement in the time where the equipments is in warranty,

Anyway, thanks for investigate.
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
albert2k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the invoice to apple and I received an e-mail fro Apple with this in part of the e-mail

After reviewing the proof of purchase, we have approved your request to update the date of purchase. Effective immediately, the purchase date for your product in our records is: 03/31/2012

Now I have peace in my mind, thanks to all.
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Good for you!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always tend to make things right. That's why I won't buy from anyone else.

Congrats on the MacBook Pro!
ChevroletChap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough, though a bit pricier, nothing beats buying your stuff from recognized merchants. I believe Best Buy will be accountable if they fail to accommodate you with your issue. Congratulations on your macbook and hope that you're not gonna use the said warranty for a long time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: