123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Previews iOS 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Apple Previews iOS 6 Reply with quote

Apple Previews iOS 6
Monday, June 11, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple today previewed iOS 6, introducing over 200 new features to its advanced mobile operating system, and released a beta version to iOS Developer Program members. iOS 6 will be available to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users this fall as a free software update. New iOS 6 features include: an all new Maps app with Apple-designed cartography, turn-by-turn navigation and an amazing new Flyover view; new Siri features, including support for more languages, easy access to sports scores, restaurant recommendations and movie listings; Facebook integration for Contacts and Calendar, with the ability to post directly from Notification Center, Siri and Facebook-enabled apps like Photos, Safari and Maps; Shared Photo Streams via iCloud; and Passbook, the simplest way to get all your passes in one place.

"iOS 6 continues the rapid pace of innovation that is helping Apple reinvent the phone and create the iPad category, delivering the best mobile experience available on any device," said Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS Software. "We canít wait for hundreds of millions of iOS users to experience the incredible new features in iOS 6 including the new Maps app, expanded Siri support, deep Facebook integration, Shared Photo Streams and the innovative new Passbook app."

The iOS 6 beta software and SDK are available immediately for iOS Developer Program members at developer.apple.com. iOS 6 will be available as a free software update for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, the new iPad, iPad 2 and iPod touch (fourth generation) this fall. Some features may not be available on all products.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1835.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the Siri is coming to the iPad. It was stupid for the new one not to have it.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
I'm glad the Siri is coming to the iPad. It was stupid for the new one not to have it.

I haven't missed it. I do however use the voice dictation feature in iMessage.

I'll benefit more when Siri works in Canada with location based services. Currently it does not.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use voice dictation here and there too, but I'm glad Siri is going to be compatible with the latest iPad. It sort of completes the experience. Plus, it's one less reason to put off buying a "new" iPad. I'm also looking forward to the Facebook integration. I'd rather have it than the Twitter stuff.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed that the iPad 1 will not be supported. To drop support for a 2 year old device is a bit too soon. Im sure most people agree with me.

Some of the original iPads out there still have AppleCare, yet the unit has been made obsolete. Some of the original iPads are only 1 year and 4 month old.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill I agree, one thing I've respected about Apple was keeping old hardware working. I know there comes a time to move on, but seems far to soon for iPad 1 owners.

I feel the same way about Siri, I'd really like to know if it's hardware issues keeping Siri of the iPhone 4 and Apple 2 or if Apple is just using that to sell more.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a shame. That being said, I never buy an iOS device thinking it will be updated with all of the latest features. I've sort of learned that lesson the hard way. See iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and original iPod touch.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I'll benefit more when Siri works in Canada with location based services. Currently it does not.

Siri will be like "Hey eh! Get some coffee at whatchamacallit's place you hoser." Wink

You know I kid Bandit.

I'm actually most excited about FaceTime over cellular. I think it's going to bring FaceTime to the next level. Even more so with it tying into a unified ID in Mountain Lion.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Siri will be like "Hey eh! Get some coffee at whatchamacallit's place you hoser." Wink

This is why it's taking so long to come to Canada Wink

Apple also needs to make it work for our French, native and Easterners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: