123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went from 2006 iMac to 2012 Mac-mini (a few questions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeChuck

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Went from 2006 iMac to 2012 Mac-mini (a few questions) Reply with quote

Some time after buying my iMac in 2006, I also purchased an AirPortExpress. I created a wifi Network (WPA2 protected).

Recently, my iMac died. I bought a Mac-mini and connected it via wifi to my AirPortExpress without any issues. I only needed the password for my Network to log on.

I am wondering why there are an AirPort ID number and an Ethernet ID number on the Mac-mini box. Should I have set up the AirPort new, with the new AirPort ID number, and the Ethernet connection with the new Ethernet ID number. Oh, and there's also a Bluetoth ID number on the box. Bluetooth also works with the setting from my old iMac.

Can anybody please clarify?
HappyMac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not certain, but I think those numbers are the MAC addresses for those interfaces. I say I am not certain, since I am basing this on something I heard on SecurityNow about a security hole in Apple products based on the fact that these addresses are displayed on the box letting a would-be bad guy copy those addresses. He would then have to follow you home to find out where you live to make use of the addresses, therefore not much stink has been made about this.

Hopefully someone will point out where I am wrong about this. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: