123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freezing on vertical position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixeldiablo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Freezing on vertical position Reply with quote

Hi all, i just got here and i hope to find and share amazing things about our minis.
I just bought a mi 2011 mini and upgrade it with a 2nd hard drive, my main purpose is to use it as a home server for my media and downloads, hooked to my HDTV.
So.. to make long story short, after looking for a good spot for the mini, i placed it in a vertical position, with the rear on the top, so it looked great, with the apple logo straight on the front, and the cables hidden behind the TV.

Everything went great, and i expected the HDD to work normal, since they come on any position depending on the PC/Board position etc, as long as you don't move it spinning.
I thought it was a software problem and started to try different things, i use Plex and Transmission, the only difference was the transmission downloading directly to an external HDD on an Airport Extreme.
It started with the plex freezing, then the transmission, then finder, etc. The whole system froze and i had to shut it down with the power button. I closed the transmission and after awhile it happened again.. and again a couple of times, about 4 - 5 times in 2 days.
I tried different software solutions then i put it again horizontal and it's been working fine for a couple of days.
I've seen mounts for the mini when used as server and it's strange that it freezes when i put it that way, if anyone use it or has the same problem, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks ahead.

Not so short, sorry.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the fan cannot remove the heat properly in the position thats why if you look at the mac mini mounts a lot where already discontinued because of that reason it is better to leave it flat.
pixeldiablo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
yea the fan cannot remove the heat properly in the position thats why if you look at the mac mini mounts a lot where already discontinued because of that reason it is better to leave it flat.

Ok, that explains it, thank you.. it's a shame tho..
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
the fan cannot remove the heat properly in that position

I wasn't aware of this being an issue. Anyone else care to share their experience or a link to another thread in the forum. I must have missed this issue.
I'm surprised. I would have though the mini would do a better job dissipating heat in this position as the exhaust vent is now at the top.

Devo, didn't you recently mount your mini in this fashion? How has it been running?

macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has to do with certain fans it doesn't have to do with rack mounts see what happens is you get a fan that when turned on it's side it hits the side of the fans housing it's not apples fault its the fan manufactures fault.

i had this happen i took my machine into apple because i have apple care and they replaced the hard drive and the fan because of this issue also i have had users in my mac group who have had the same issues

it's not a isolated problem it happens once in every 40,000 mini's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: