123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSD installed to Mac Mini.....FAST!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2trout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: SSD installed to Mac Mini.....FAST! Reply with quote

today I installed a OWC 6G 480G SSD, did a clean Lion install and then migrated user data from the OEM HD to the SSD.
Wow, its FAST!......from power on to full desktop about 10-12s, opening applications is lightning fast, pretty impressive.
If you don't mind spending some bucks on the SSD, I can recommend changing to one.
First time dismantling the Mini to remove old HD, amazing how they can pack all that in such a small place!
DSDunbar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to know which instructions and tools you used. I have been tempted to do this with my mid-2011 mac-mini using the iFixit instructions (free) & installation toolkit (~$100 to deliver to Canada).
2trout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used tools that I bought from OWC, the instructions too are available on OWC's web site, following are the relevant links.

http://eshop.macsales.com/articles/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-your-old-drive-to-a-new-drive

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2010_hd_h/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/TOOLKIT11/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U2NV2SPATA/
lumberjack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the swop about two weeks ago.

Installed the Intel 240 GB 6G disk and it works well with very quick boot time.

It took longer to find the Torx 6 and 8 screw drivers than it did to do the conversion.

It was not necessary to remove the fan or antenae wires, just move them off to one side.

Neither was it necessary to unscrew or move the motherboard.

When sliding in the new disk, the machine was careffuly flipped over to ensure that the pins on the end of the SSD engaged into the holes.

It worked easily and in some respects simpler than the 2009 mini where the antenae was found to be stuck by its flimsy plastic peg and required diprotionate force to move resulting in a broken wire.

All in all, a good upgrade.
2trout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjack wrote:

It took longer to find the Torx 6 and 8 screw drivers than it did to do the conversion.

It was not necessary to remove the fan or antenae wires, just move them off to one side.

When sliding in the new disk, the machine was careffuly flipped over to ensure that the pins on the end of the SSD engaged into the holes.

It worked easily and in some respects simpler than the 2009 mini where the antenae was found to be stuck by its flimsy plastic peg and required diprotionate force to move resulting in a broken wire.

true, now that I've done the upgrade there is no need to do all the steps as shown in the video, however, for a first timer, it pays to be cautious and follow the instructions pretty closely.
Things being such a tight fit in the Mini's case, it would be quite easy to make a mistake and crews things up badly.
It is a pretty straight forward process though and if one does not mind paying a premium, for now, for a SSD, it is well worth while to speed up your Mini, or any PC for that matter.
As mine is set up right now, it will do me for a few years yet before I would perhaps consider upgrading to a next generation unit. Smile
2trout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjack wrote:

true, now that I've done the upgrade there is no need to do all the steps as shown in the video, however, for a first timer, it pays to be cautious and follow the instructions pretty closely.
Things being such a tight fit in the Mini's case, it would be quite easy to make a mistake and crews things up badly.
It is a pretty straight forward process though and if one does not mind paying a premium, for now, for a SSD, it is well worth while to speed up your Mini, or any PC for that matter.
As mine is set up right now, it will do me for a few years yet before I would perhaps consider upgrading to a next generation unit unless of course it is such an increase/improvement in performance etc that I am compelled to upgrade. Smile
gaby

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2trout wrote:
I used tools that I bought from OWC, the instructions too are available on OWC's web site, following are the relevant links.

http://eshop.macsales.com/articles/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-your-old-drive-to-a-new-drive

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2010_hd_h/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/TOOLKIT11/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U2NV2SPATA/

oh my sister is looking for this instructions. thanks for sharing! Smile
thedeske

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just swapped a drive in my 2010 mini. Hardest part is being patient with the ultra tiny connectors. I had better luck sliding the logic board back an inch. Made the 2nd half easier. My factory 320HD had extra strips of tape over the heat sensor and sata connector, so a little extra time to gently peel those back.

Most of the steps in the OWC vid go as expected. Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: