123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Lion Reply with quote

Hi, I would appreciate your inputs/suggestions on updating to Lion: timing_ML related, benefit/con, etc

My system: early 2009 mini 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OSX 10.6.8 (with a dozen of pc app, not important though)

I am especially concerned with the Mail issue caused by Lion. (hope it's a non-issue now)
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MM late 2009 2.26 with 2GB. It does pretty good, I have no really issues with mail or other Apple apps, the only one that seems dramatically slower now is Preview. I did noticed that MS Word/Excel seem VERY slow to load under Lion vs SL though.

Not sure of what mail issue, I use Lion at home and work with mac Mail and works fine with my IMAP account along with my iPhone. In fact with the iCloud I was able to cancel my Exchange server since my Calender/Contacts now sync as well.
fiat

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Y. I am not sure what Mail issue is, but remember that earlier switchers (to Lion) claimed Mail clashed often after update to Lion. Hope it's resolved now. (what's the newest Lion version?)

As you mentioned now a bit concerned about iCloud: is it mandate to put all data/file in it? What about privacy issue? So far I only own a mini (no other apple product). Not until purchasing new apple products, I feel it's necessary and benefit to enter cloud service (no other device to sync and quite enough storage space with internal and external HD). What's the real deal/catch of iCloud?

You didn't mention if there is/are any performance improvement due by Lion. Is there anything that compels you to must run Lion? Any good I miss on Lion?

Appreciate your sharing.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCloud is totally optional, I don't use the .me email service as I have two others that work great and I prefer to have my own domain. I don't sync my photos with iCloud either, at first you couldn't delete them, but you can now.

A few things I'm not as fond about Lion deal with Spaces. On both my Macs I have 4 spaces setup that apps load into, I think how SL did this was easier but Lion works ok. I thought I was going to lose that feature so I held off until I knew I could keep it.

There are a few annoyances that I still don't like. The Save As function has been placed by Duplicate and Export, I hate it. Just give me the Save As. I liken this to the Microsoft Office Ribbon, gag. There were a few tweaks so that app windows didn't reopen again, when I close and app I want it Closed. Might vary for MBP users but I found it very annoying, was able to shut it off.

I'm sure there are some good sites that explain the differences and annoyances now too.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to go to lion i can recommend some programs to help you with lion and with e-mail

In the app store:

Download lisa the speaking e-mail assistant it will also come in handy if you have a ipad and a iphone because it has free ringtones with it that work for mail notification and contact notification on both devices.

Out side of the app store you will need.

Lion tweaks: certain folders are hidden in lion lion tweaks takes care of that

Tinkertool: this tool does the rest in lion including customization of items in the o.s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: