123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Billy Bob's HTPC dream Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billiy_Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Billy Bob's HTPC dream Thread Reply with quote

First...Hello all, my name is Bob and I'm a mac newbie. Gotta say I love the mac mini ( with HDMI ) as a HTPC.

I am in the process of putting together my Dream Home Theater System. Here are my components to date.

Hardware
Apple mac mini 2.3 GHz, 8 GB Ram
1TB hard drive (want to set upgrade to 3TB Home Networked Storage)
LG - 55LV 5400 55" HDTV
Pioneer VSX-1020-K Home Theater Receiver
Logitech Harmony One Remote
PVR Cable box 1 TB

Software
Plex
Remote Buddy

So far everything works beautifully, and this system is everything I dreamed so far. I'm like a proud father. My Problem is in this dream of mine I am able to push my Plex button on my Harmony one remote and all my Plex media player pops up. I push my Web button and the Plex player closes and my web browser Opens.

Am I dreaming, or is this possible. Can YOU Very Happy Help me. Many thanks if you can, and since this system I'm putting together is the future. I'm sure others might be interested.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be better to do it all from Plex. Does the version of Plex that you are using, have the Applications menu?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

issues with this are this.

1. you need a apple script that handles the remote to plex.

2. you will also need the remote codes for the harmony remote and if logitech doesn't have them you might still have to purchase a apple remote to get the codes from.
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do pretty much the same thing you described using a Harmony remote and Remote Buddy. In the Harmony Remote software I programmed the 4 screen buttons to be EyeTV (F1), Plex (F2), DVD Player (F3) and Hulu (F4). Each of these buttons triggers an Apple Script written within Remote Buddy to open and close the appropriate applications. About half way down the forum I linked below is a post by needles27 that should get you heading in the right direction. I had to alter his scripts a bit to get it to do exactly what I wanted, but I'm very pleased with the results.

In my setup, EyeTV opens as soon as I turn my system on. If I press the Plex button, it closes the EyeTV live TV window (keeping EyeTV running in the background to catch any scheduled recordings I may have) and opens Plex. If I hit the Hulu button from there, it closes Plex and launches Hulu desktop. If I hit EyeTV from there, it closes Hulu desktop and opens the EyeTV live TV window.

Good luck.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/33326-eyetv-and-plex-remote-issue/page__p__212588__fromsearch__1#entry212588
Billiy_Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will give that a try. I'm using Romote Pro with iphone for now, but really want to simplify things. Plus I love the Harmony remote.

I have another question for you or anyone. What is the best way to integrate sites like ATDHE, Chanfeed, Sports Lemon and other sports feeds? Can I do this in Plex, or do I have to use XBMC or Boxee?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sites might be available as plugins for Plex. If they aren't available, you could request them at the Plex forums.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: