123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assembling the worlds fastest Mac Mini DualCore i7 2011/2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJL wrote:

Do not let some armchair wannabees who have little or no real experience get under your skin - just ignore them.

I do

MJL wrote:

Anyway - you had a note on your Flickr account that the antenna grille did not sit proper. Hopefully you got it to fit again but otherwise:

Thanks, will try an give it a go again whenever I have the time.

Today I have been sorting all my external harddrives into one, formatting, installing apps and downloading new stuff so I soon will have a real desktop mac and not a benchmark monster machine.
Decided to go for a single SSD run because I also want to use bootcamp windows, and win does not compute with software raids.
So one SSD is for usual files and boot, the other is for win and a seperate partition on that second ssd is my downloads folder, because i often download/delete things then it will have time to rearrange/garbage collect when i do other stuff.

MJL wrote:

Thanks for these tests however be aware that these are only "peak performance" and that you might have difficulty with temperature if you're wanting to run the computer at a 100% CPU rate for extended periods.

I am only home typically 14 hours a day and most of those hours I spend with my family, eat or sleep, so it is never on for extended periods of time, and when it occasionally is it is maybe used for playing music or other low-stressing tasks. So it will not be any problem.
Plus that, one of the reasons I chose the Intels is that they have an aluminum enclosure that helps naturally cooling the RAM chips, even the Kingston RAM have alu heat spreaders.

Thanks for the advice anyway, always appreciated Smile
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today almost a week later I have finally managed to install and setup everything for what I will use the mini for normally.

I have a lot a lot a lot of programs wich all have their special settings, making aliases to all the folders all over the system that are on my external drive (like my iPhoto library) and on the second SSD (like my downloads folder).

Decided to use it as a single SSD for boot and apps and the other SSD is for most commonly used files + boot camp.
Boot camp would never work in RAID, so thats the primary reason.

Another thing also, I managed to fit the wifi grill back into its original position! Am not going to fiddle more around in this tiny case for the next many months, so better get it right the first (or second) time.

Next update will be a few videos on my YouTube channel whenever I get time to edit it all together, watch out for pretty amazing speed tests.
MJL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on getting the antenna grille back in.

Had a look at the geekbench over the past day or so and noticed differences in results for either OS X or Windows 7.

What was interesting is an approx 9% increase in performance when using Windows 7 64 bit versus 32 bit.

Althoug the "overal result" for Windows 7 results appears to be lower than for OS X when looking at the results for the memory throughput (sequential read / write) Windows appears to have an edge over OS X. (this is where my bottle neck sits for my main application, shoving data in and out of a database, CPU is basically idling along.)

Will temporarily revert next month back to my Windows laptop and am going to sell this machine (Mac mini i5-2520M with 128 Gb Apple SSD from a MacBook Pro) and then wait for the next Mac mini. I have a spare 128 Gb Apple SSD waiting to go into that one.
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJL wrote:
Well done on getting the antenna grille back in.

Had a look at the geekbench over the past day or so and noticed differences in results for either OS X or Windows 7.

What was interesting is an approx 9% increase in performance when using Windows 7 64 bit versus 32 bit.

Althoug the "overal result" for Windows 7 results appears to be lower than for OS X when looking at the results for the memory throughput (sequential read / write) Windows appears to have an edge over OS X. (this is where my bottle neck sits for my main application, shoving data in and out of a database, CPU is basically idling along
I'm wondering about two things, what graphs/test results have you been looking at? I have not yet made any testing in Windows 7. And also, what relevance to the thread does it have that you are selling a mac wich is not even a mac mini? Anyway, thanks for the pad on the back for getting the grill back in Smile
MJL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT0MAC wrote:
I'm wondering about two things, what graphs/test results have you been looking at? I have not yet made any testing in Windows 7. And also, what relevance to the thread does it have that you are selling a mac wich is not even a mac mini?

Went through the Geekbench tests for the Mac mini and checked which results were for windows 32 bit, 64 bit and which ones were for OS X.

I had the Mac mini 2010 (base model) and I needed a more powerfull machine so got the mid Mac mini 2011. Am not happy with that I have to manually set the minimum fan speed with MacFan_06 to 2000 rpm to keep the temperature within reasonable levels so am eagerly awaiting the Ivy bridge upgrade. Hopefully there will be a low TDP CPU in it with more or less the same grunt.

During the period that I am without the Mac mini I am going to revert back to my Thinkpad T61p laptop which at the time it was released was the most powerfull "business" laptop on the market. Prior to that I alwys got every year the most powerfull available laptop (for my work), sometimes I upgraded every 8 months.

In certain ways I push my machines to the limit however in my case it no longer is the computational power yet it is how fast can I get the data in and out from memory into the CPU. Different game. (data manipulation with data in a database).

Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your Mac mini, I have grown rather fond of the small form factor / compactness and the low noiselevels. There is nothing else on the market that compares.
eks

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey At0mac, how's the Mac Mini doing? Still going strong?
Bluenose

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is still interested I returned a Novabench score of 818

2012-05-29 19:38:22 +0000
Mac OS X 10.7.4
Intel Core i7 @ 2700 MHz
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6630M

8192 MB System RAM (Score: 179)
- RAM Speed: 8623 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 472)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 153085088
- Integer Operations/Second: 291765120
- MD5 Hashes Calculated/Second: 1131329

Graphics Tests (Score: 118)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 327

Hardware Tests (Score: 50)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 475 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 227 MB/s

I have a 2.7GHz i7 dual core - 8Gb of Crucial Memory & a 512Gb Crucial SSD (the machine boots of the SSD - backs up onto the original Mac HD)

Used mainly as a media server with Plex - well impressed with the speed - I have no idea whether 819 is a good score!!!
[/img]
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluenose wrote:
.....I have no idea whether 819 is a good score!!!

Well, FYI, here is my Mac Pro at 888 :

Your mini at 818 is pretty impressive!

My stock mini late-2009 has a Novabench score of 371 !
Bluenose

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Bluenose wrote:
.....I have no idea whether 819 is a good score!!!

Well, FYI, here is my Mac Pro at 888 :

Your mini at 818 is pretty impressive!

My stock mini late-2009 has a Novabench score of 371 !

Cheers - I come from a pc background - I knew that the ram would make a difference and treated my self to an after market SSD from Crucial - The mac has it's quirks but I am impressed by it - also having seen Windows 8 Apple must be howling with laughter - on a desktop machine it is not a pleasant experience!!! Thanks for the info on the score.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: