123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils New iPad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils New iPad Reply with quote

Apple Unveils New iPad
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple today introduced the new iPad, the third generation of its mobile device, featuring a stunning new Retina display, the company's new A5X chip with quad-core graphics and a 5 megapixel iSight camera with advanced optics for capturing amazing photos and 1080p HD video. They also introduced the new iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G, which connects to fast networks worldwide, including AT&T's and Verizon's 4G LTE networks, and still delivers the same 10 hour battery life while remaining thin and light.

"The new iPad redefines the category Apple created less than two years ago, delivering the most amazing experience people have ever had with technology," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "The new iPad now has the highest resolution display ever seen on a mobile device with 3.1 million pixels, delivering razor sharp text and unbelievable detail in photos and videos."

According to the company, the new iPad's Retina display delivers four times the number of pixels of iPad 2, so dense that the human eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels when held at a normal distance, making web pages, text, images and video look incredibly sharp and realistic. The 3.1 million pixels in the Retina display are more than one million more pixels than an HD TV, and with 44 percent increased color saturation the new iPad displays colors that are unbelievably richer, deeper and more vivid. Movies are now capable of playing at full 1080p HD-resolution, delivering an incomparable viewing experience on a mobile device.

The new A5X chip with quad-core graphics was specifically designed by Apple to deliver a fast, responsive user experience while supporting the incredible Retina display. With double the graphics performance of the A5 chip, the A5X provides a superb balance between performance and power efficiency so users can enjoy all the benefits of the stunning new display while experiencing a smooth Multi-Touch interface, immersive gameplay, incredible visual depth and "all-day battery life" that iPad is known for delivering.

The 5 megapixel iSight camera features advanced optics for taking stunning pictures and recording full HD video. Backside illumination allows you to take great photos in low-light conditions and a new video image stabilization feature removes the bumps and shakes typically seen when filming with a hand-held device. Images can be enjoyed on the large Retina display, then edited, enhanced and easily shared with friends and family using the built-in Photos app on iPad.

iPad Wi-Fi + 4G with built-in next generation 4G LTE has the most comprehensive support for fast networks worldwide including HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA, and now both CDMA and GSM iPad users have the ability to easily roam internationally. The world-ready iPad delivers blazing download and upload speeds so web pages load incredibly quickly and email with large attachments can be sent and received easily. Personal Hotspot can be used to share the fast network connection on your iPad with up to 5 other devices using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or USB.

The new iPad Wi-Fi models will be available in black or white on Friday, March 16th for a suggested retail price of $499 for the 16GB model, $599 for the 32GB model and $699 for the 64GB model. iPad Wi-Fi + 4G for either AT&T or Verizon will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 for the 16GB model, $729 for the 32GB model and $829 for the 64GB model. iPad will be sold in the US through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores, and select Apple Authorized Resellers. iPad will also be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands on Friday, March 16. Customers can begin pre-ordering their new iPad today.

The company also announced that iPad 2 is now being offered at a more affordable price of $399 for the 16GB Wi-Fi model and $529 for the 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G model.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1792.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get through to pre-order. Mad
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fantastic update! It really is all about the screen when you think about it. Everything else they added is a bonus.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
I can't get through to pre-order. Mad

The phone numbers are posted. Did you try phoning?
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the date rates from AT&T and Verizon changed any now that it's 4G?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Have the date rates from AT&T and Verizon changed any now that it's 4G?

I could be wrong, but it looks like they stayed the same across the board. At least for now.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are the calling it the "new" iPad and the "third generation" iPad in the same breath? Shouldn't it just be called the iPad 3? That seems kinda strange to me. It's like they want to break the numbering game or something. Other than that, Apple looks to have nailed things. At least on the hardware side. The only other strange thing would be the exemption of Siri.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might wait for the newer iPad. Smile
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good: retina display, graphics cpu, and back camera.

The bad: no Siri (huge mistake), front camera, and A5 core count. You can also add system RAM if they stayed at 512MB.

Overall: I give it a B+ as far as upgrades go over the previous generation. I do think it leaves the door open slightly for Windows 8 tablets to make an impact at retail. I know that's a reach, but you never know. I will say that it was a smart move for Apple to keep the iPad 2 around.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
You can also add system RAM if they stayed at 512MB

An article on The Verge says that it has 1GB of RAM.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/2853448/sources-apple-new-ipad-makes-leap-1gb-of-ram
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Why are the calling it the "new" iPad and the "third generation" iPad in the same breath? Shouldn't it just be called the iPad 3? That seems kinda strange to me. It's like they want to break the numbering game or something. Other than that, Apple looks to have nailed things. At least on the hardware side. The only other strange thing would be the exemption of Siri.

I think Apple has settled on the fact that the iPad will remain in the Apple family for quite some time. Continuing with a numbering scheme does not make sense.
Look at the iMac. We'd be at the iMac 20 by now. iMacs sell just fine year after year without getting a new name. In fact the numbering convention can work against you. It puts too concrete of a separation between the products. People expect a massive increase in a product with a new number, almost as though it needs to be reinvented, or twice a good. People won't get as upset with minor updates. Look at the last update on the MacBook pros. It was incredibly small and there were no complaints. People aren't always asking when the next one will come out, or when the last one was released.
Look at all the stupid iPad 2S comments that came out, even before the release.
I think Apple did a good thing by simply calling it an iPad.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ready to buy one and I was gonna give my iPad 2 to my older mother. I found out she can't get dsl now it has me rethinking if I really need one now. I love my iPad 2 still. I may hold out. The only real gain for me is the retina display I'm thinking. A lot of dough for that upgrade. I already am happy with what I am seeing. The next upgrade would really impress me then.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I was ready to buy one and I was gonna give my iPad 2 to my older mother. I found out she can't get dsl now it has me rethinking if I really need one now. I love my iPad 2 still. I may hold out. The only real gain for me is the retina display I'm thinking. A lot of dough for that upgrade. I already am happy with what I am seeing. The next upgrade would really impress me then.

I suggest you take a look at one and decide if the improved screen quality is reason enough to upgrade.
I'm going to do it for the screen alone.
I used to think th iPad had a decent screen, but is is inferior to an iPod 4th or an iPhone 4/4S. If you compare them side by side it is extremely apparent.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:

I suggest you take a look at one and decide if the improved screen quality is reason enough to upgrade.
I'm going to do it for the screen alone.
I used to think th iPad had a decent screen, but is is inferior to an iPod 4th or an iPhone 4/4S. If you compare them side by side it is extremely apparent.

Yeah I got a lot of thinking to do on this one.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one game over. Smile I figured I better jump on it before the shipping dates get further down the road. I knew I wanted one deep down so heck with it.

That and an apple tv I could of got a new mac mini.

Surprised Very Happy

I'm waiting for the new one on that. No more spending for me for awhile. Time to kick back and enjoy my new toys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: