123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screw Types /Screwdirvers needed for a MacMini 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluenose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Screw Types /Screwdirvers needed for a MacMini 2011 Reply with quote

Can anyone give me a list if the screwdriver types and sizes I need to install an extra hard drive in a 2011 Macmini?
saul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iFixit guides have great info: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-Mac-Mini-Mid-2011-Logic-Board-Replacement/6421/1
Special tools are Torx T6 and T8 that you can get at Sears. The spudger is nice but not really needed.
Bluenose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
iFixit guides have great info: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-Mac-Mini-Mid-2011-Logic-Board-Replacement/6421/1
Special tools are Torx T6 and T8 that you can get at Sears. The spudger is nice but not really needed.

Thanks for the info - but I fear my nearest Sears maybe about 3,200 miles away or so - I will source them here in Scotland - Maplin I'd guess!!!
MJL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluenose wrote:
saul wrote:

Thanks for the info - but I fear my nearest Sears maybe about 3,200 miles away or so - I will source them here in Scotland - Maplin I'd guess!!!

I got some "low-end/mid priced" ones (not the cheapest and not the most expensive: Fuller) and after using it on the 2010 and then on the 2011 Mac mini I found that they damaged the heads of the screws because not being an accurate fit.

I've spend more money to get proper quality ones because replacement screws are rather expensive.
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJL wrote:
I've spend more money to get proper quality ones because replacement screws are rather expensive.

I +1 on that, I changed drives in my former mini (sold it 2 days ago and now waiting for a new 2011 model) were I really screwed up in two of the screws. It will be impossible to change drives in that machine a second time due to using tools that were not the right size.

This time for my new build I have ordered a tool set from iFixIT - just to be sure.
Bluenose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT0MAC wrote:
MJL wrote:

I +1 on that, I changed drives in my former mini (sold it 2 days ago and now waiting for a new 2011 model) were I really screwed up in two of the screws. It will be impossible to change drives in that machine a second time due to using tools that were not the right size.

This time for my new build I have ordered a tool set from iFixIT - just to be sure.

I purchased a set of interchangeable headed scredrivers - all sorts of torx, star & hex here in the Uk from a company called marlin - they did the job well - although it was a bit of tight fit getting the bottom drive cable in!!!!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: