123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:
That piece of crap better get one heck of an overhaul.

I agree. It's kinda cool that you'll get aware of updates in the Notification Center though.

The notification center will be a nice feature especially seeing how I never open up the store. I wound't know if there was an update to be had if it weren't for this site. Smile
palebluedot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly it won't support older mac minis =(.

Per AppleInsider:
Mid 2007 Mac mini (Model Numbers: MB138*/A, MB139*/A)

no longer supported.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that the public Beta for Messages was out and I installed it at home and my office Mac - so far love it. So nice to be able to msg directly from my Mac, a feature/app I've been hoping for.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shock! I didn't see this one coming at all. Shocked

You want to know one of the little bitty things that I'm stoked about. Safari seems to have a combined search and address bar now. So it might be time to switch back from Chrome. The Notification Center looks great too. It's probably going to be the beginning of the end for Growl. Especially if it integrates with Twitter and Facebook. As for Gatekeeper. Who couldn't see this coming? I just hope we always have the option to turn it off in future releases.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palebluedot wrote:
Sadly it won't support older mac minis =(.

Per AppleInsider:
Mid 2007 Mac mini (Model Numbers: MB138*/A, MB139*/A)

no longer supported.

Why just those models? They certainly weren't the only ones with Intel GMA 950 graphics. Confused
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for Mountain Lion to be released. It does worry me that Apple released it so quickly - it's almost Microsoft-like. Some people fear change, and Apple releasing an oS every year might intimidate them; but than again, maybe not the case with Mac OS, since it costs a fraction of what Windows does. Many have also come to expect a new iOS release every year, maybe that's become the Mac OS expectation as well.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I can't wait for Mountain Lion to be released. It does worry me that Apple released it so quickly - it's almost Microsoft-like. Some people fear change, and Apple releasing an oS every year might intimidate them; but than again, maybe not the case with Mac OS, since it costs a fraction of what Windows does. Many have also come to expect a new iOS release every year, maybe that's become the Mac OS expectation as well.

Most people do not know what an OS is.
I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I'm sure the upgrade will be nominal, perhaps free. $30 is no big deal, when you can upgrade every computer you own.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
$30 is no big deal, when you can upgrade every computer you own.

That's still one of the most underrated features of the Mac App Store in my book. In addition to Mountain Lion, I cannot wait until the next versions of iPhoto, Pages and GarageBand come. Which should all most definitely be 64-bit the next time around. Since Mountain Lion pretty much tells the 32-bit kernel to eat it.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Apple is getting even closer with Twitter in Mountain Lion. I wonder if they might buy them out one of these days? It sure doesn't seem like they are interested in promoting Facebook as much as Twitter. I think having a successful Messages and FaceTime, as well as owning Twitter, would make Apple very powerful in the IM space

I'm also with those excited about the new notification system in Mountain Lion. Now I'm hoping they let news services and such tie into the feature. Like having he ability get headlines from CNN and weather alerts.
adv2k169

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess this will not work for my Mac Mini ( Lion works fine)

I got 1.83 GHZ 2007 Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs of ram.

I really don't see the need to make this a new OS, seems like a new major update. My Mini is fast and works great, and I don't want to be left out in the dust when everything is working fine. GRRRR they will probably require some expensive graphics card, and a ton more ram
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adv2k169 wrote:
My Mini is fast and works great, and I don't want to be left out in the dust when everything is working fine. GRRRR they will probably require some expensive graphics card, and a ton more ram

It doesn't make sense, but what are you going to do? It should teach us all a lesson about buying Macs with integrated graphics or systems where things (EFI for example) are held back. Apple will dump on you sooner or later. Especially if they go to yearly OS X updates.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple is dropping support for numerous models in 10.8, including the original MacPros. They have pretty fancy graphics cards so that argument has no logic to it.

Apple doesn't love that Macs run forever anymore. Planned obsolescence is the way Apple makes money, and it's been a product policy practically since Jobs came back to Apple.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Apple is dropping support for numerous models in 10.8, including the original MacPros. They have pretty fancy graphics cards so that argument has no logic to it.

I think their logic is that you need a Mac that can boot into the 64-bit kernel. Am I wrong?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed something's being a developer with access to the developers account for mountain lion i can honestly say i am not impressed and not for the reason you think.

1. software updates is gone you now have to update through the app store which is a pain if you don't want a app store account.

2. the applications update is pretty nice but some issues remain.

3. did you know that dp1 is a gold master check out the plist file inside the dp1 here is the line

<key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
<string>GM</string>

so it would seem what apple has given to developers is really a demo model more then a developers version because if there already in gold master status not a good sign
adv2k169

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
i noticed something's being a developer with access to the developers account for mountain lion i can honestly say i am not impressed and not for the reason you think.

1. software updates is gone you now have to update through the app store which is a pain if you don't want a app store account

I don't see how this is an improvement. I don't check the ap store on my mac that often so how will I know when stuff is updated. iPhone tells you when things are read to update, but mac ap must be opened. Unless Apple plans on having ap store run all the time in the background like iOS than I guess that can work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: