123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading my Mini to a HTPC w/ FR, any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
section8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Upgrading my Mini to a HTPC w/ FR, any suggestions? Reply with quote

My long term goal is to use the mini for Front Row and a File Server for the rest of my network. so i want to set this up right the first time if possible. BTW i have FR running, love it.

looking for a 300-400GB HD. noise is the biggest concern, w/o losing performance.

I have read a lot of posts on the many different mini enclosures, and am leaning towards the ministack v2, or the Lacie mini hd/hub. i just wish i could put my own HD in. anyone want to buy a 80GB HD? ; )

i have read that you can put a SATA HD in these, not just a PATA. is there a performance advantage?

Can a Mac mini use a 2GB Memory Stick? the 256MB to 1GB upgrade was the best upgrade for the money.

I also want to connect the mini to my Samsung 46" DLP HDTV. i have 2 options.

opt 1:

Mac Mini DVI (apple DVI/S-Video Adapter) via S-Video to Yamaha Reciever via component video to HDTV

opt 2:

Mac Mini DVI via DVI to HDTV

the reason i would like Opt 1 is that the Yamaha will automatically change the video inputs, whereas opt 2, i would have to change the inputs manually on the HDTV. My concern is the quality of the S-Video, will it degrade the image for the iPhoto playback? the Music and Photos are a priority for me.
poisonfist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would lose hell of a lot through s-video, you should definitely go with the DVI to DVI route.

It's a no-go for the 2 gig stick, you can only get it up to 1G.

I have no complaints with my ministack (v1), some say the fan noise is noticable but in my case, the fan noise from the mini is always greater than the ministack.

328i sport package
section8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed you OC'ed your Mini. how hard is that? i read some brief details about it. would love to do that.
cubed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have my mini hooked up via the s/video adaptor to my tv which doesn't support hd and the video/image quality is just as good as it would come out on a dvd player hooked up through svideo. i have a yamaha av receiver as well and the sound quality and the video quality are really decent.

i also have the ministack v1 with a maxtor 300gb 16mb cache harddrive installed in it and ffor storing my movies to play through front row it works awesome. i really like the firewire/usb hub features it provides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: