123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates AirPort Utility and Base Station Firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Apple Updates AirPort Utility and Base Station Firmware Reply with quote

Apple Updates AirPort Utility and Base Station Firmware
Monday, January 30, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple has released the AirPort Utility 6.0 for Mac OS X Lion via their Software Update Utility and website for direct download. This major update to the application brings a new user interface that is similar to the AirPort Utility for iOS application that Apple released last year. It allows users to see a graphical overview of their Wi-Fi network and devices. Change base station and network settings, or manage advanced features such as security modes, wireless channels, and more. The AirPort Utility 6.0 for Mac OS X Lion weighs at 14.13MB and requires Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1777.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I thought they might do something similar to the iOS app. I really preferred it over the old utility. Even though it can be a little slower to navigate. I just like the simple interface with update notifications. It's all you really need.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day everything will look and act like iOS. Then I will switch back to Windows. Laughing

I don't care if they make apps look shiny and modern. Just don't dumb them down for Pete's sake. At least not on the desktop.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using new v5.6, no change to functionality. Use new v6.0, definitely a different story.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
Using new v5.6, no change to functionality. Use new v6.0, definitely a different story.

I have both installed. The new version is okay for the basics, but it needs an "advanced" mode or tab for the things it lacks. Like logs, statistics, and status light control for example.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I should speak to soon, but 5.6 ( or the firmware update, sumpin) may have fixed an issue I had with pdf's in full screen while listening to music wirelessly with airport to my large stereo. When I navigated pages it would make my music skip and stutter. So far so good. Ye haw they keep it up I might actually like Lion one day. Now they need to update that slow dog iPhoto.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
Not sure if I should speak to soon, but 5.6 ( or the firmware update, sumpin) may have fixed an issue I had with pdf's in full screen while listening to music wirelessly with airport to my large stereo. When I navigated pages it would make my music skip and stutter.

It could be the firmware or just from restarting the AE. Stranger things have been know to happen. Heck, it took me an hour to get an HP printer working with AirPrint. A simple restart of the AEBS and bingo.

As for iPhoto slowness, 64-bit baby! It might be our only hope, cause that sucker feels more bloated than ever. iPhoto '09 was better in my book.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still rather have something in a browser.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly ever use the AirPort Utility other than to install updates and restart, so this is plenty good for me. Plus, I like the graphical interface. I was already a big fan of the iOS version in that regard.
iLife's a Bitch!
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't resolved my issue. Actually getting that skipping music using safari even at times. I realized today while it happened on my computer speakers while flipping through pdf's. So it seems less but there is more to it. It was pretty smooth last night though wirelessly. I had the computer speakers turned down then. That still doesn't explain the issue with safari though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: