123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, I didn't remember correctly. It was the Security Update to SL, not the delta to Lion.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
How is this related to the OS X 10.7.3 update?

Snow Leopard is 10.6

Are we discussing entirely different updates?

I only brought it up because Rosetta and PPC were mentioned. The security update for Snow Leopard, which was also released yesterday, includes the same content bundled in the 10.7.3 update. It's not the same, but perhaps some of the issues are related. Sorry for the confusion.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
My mistake, I didn't remember correctly. It was the Security Update to SL, not the delta to Lion.

That's okay Fox. Sometimes I wish that you could though. Because there are days where I miss the simplicity and look of MS Office 2004 for Mac.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
How is this related to the OS X 10.7.3 update?

Snow Leopard is 10.6

Are we discussing entirely different updates?

I only brought it up because Rosetta and PPC were mentioned. The security update for Snow Leopard, which was also released yesterday, includes the same content bundled in the 10.7.3 update. It's not the same, but perhaps some of the issues are related. Sorry for the confusion.

Good to know. I didn't realize they were both released.

Sucks that SL got messed up.

Hopefully another quick update for SL comes out.
Texark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These have been kind of disastrous updates for Apple. CUI errors with 10.7.3 and Rosetta issues the security update for Snow Leopard. Dang, I wouldn't be surprised to see them release a 10.6.9 update now for Snow Leopard. Unless they are saying that Rosetta has become a security risk. Rolling Eyes
jrt1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No troubles with 10.7.3 here. I just upgraded from Snow Leopard and everything is working great. Funny thing though. I had finally given up on Power PC-based apps with the purchase of Photoshop Elements 10 and Microsoft Office for Mac 2011.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
These have been kind of disastrous updates for Apple. CUI errors with 10.7.3 and Rosetta issues the security update for Snow Leopard. Dang, I wouldn't be surprised to see them release a 10.6.9 update now for Snow Leopard. Unless they are saying that Rosetta has become a security risk. Rolling Eyes

Apple will now drop support for SL. This final update messes up your system and forces you into Lion Smile It's all part of the master plan.

I'm sure Apple will take care of it. What really sucks about the SL mishap is the people choosing to remain with SL are doing so for 2 reasons, stability and the ability to run non intel based software. This update threw a wrench into both.

The other thing that really sucks is people are understandably reluctant to update to new OSs or even early revisions of OSs (like 10.7.3) as they often introduce new issues.
If I were running 10.6.8 I would have had absolutely no hesitation to download a security update.
Normally when I do an OS update, I clone my hard drive before the update, so I can easily go back to the old version if needed. I also wait a few days and see if others are experiencing issues. With a security update, I dont bother. I guess I'll be cloning before security updates for now on as well.

This is a bit of a shocker.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Apple will now drop support for SL. This final update messes up your system and forces you into Lion Smile It's all part of the master plan.

Just wait until they hit the master switch that kills all of our Macs. The Apple Store is going to be packed that weekend. Laughing

I agree with you on the updates. Issues or bugs with 10.7.3 can always be fixed in 10.7.4. A security update, on the other hand, should be safe and less worrisome. It should not throw a wrench into system stability and functionality. I hate to say it, but Apple seriously failed the bar on this one.
iLife's a Bitch!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather have my system compromised. Razz
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I just attempted a software update from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 and the Apple Software Updater only indicates an update available for iTunes and Keynote. Apple may have pulled the 10.7.3 update for the time being.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems to report here with the 10.7.3 update. I'm saddened to hear about the security update for Snow Leopard issues though. Apple definitely needs to do a better job going forward. And, come out with a quick fix for those not able to use Rosetta now.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
No problems to report here with the 10.7.3 update.

It is working for me now. I'm not sure why it didn't appear as an option to download, earlier this evening.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple has now pulled the Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 Delta update in favor of the Combo update to address crashing and CUI errors.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
It is working for me now. I'm sure why it didn't appear as an option to download, earlier this evening.

It didn't work for me either, but now I'm being prompted for the combo updater. I'm going to hold off though. The previous 10.7.2 release seems stable enough for me.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to enjoy software updates like this and looked forward to them as they usually brought improvements or new goodies. Now they make me nervous and I ponder whether or not to install. This one seemed to go ok, no problems or improvements noticed yet.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD

Last edited by CaliforniaMini on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: