123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DeLorme and the Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DeLorme's GPS mapping software is currently available for Windows only. Would you like to see DeLorme's Topo released for MacOS X?
Yes, I would want to see Topo for MacOS X
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
No, DeLorme shouldn't bother; leave it Windows-only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care because I use a different brand of GPS receiver and/or software
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care because GPS receivers and software do not interest me
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: DeLorme and the Mac Reply with quote

I recently acquired a used DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 GPS receiver. It is a remarkable, very high-quality, feature-packed device with the ability to view topographical maps on the screen. I found it used on Amazon at an unbeatable price.

There is one drawback, which I knew about prior to acquiring the device: DeLorme's software, particularly its Topo mapping, is Windows-only. This is the only time in the last five years that I have seriously thought of getting a copy of Windows to run under Boot Camp.

DeLorme also offers a web-based pay service that is platform-agnostic. But to my knowledge, having never invested the money in that web service, its features do not match the power of the sophisticated Topo software.

I recently submitted feedback to DeLorme that I wanted to see Topo brought to the MacOS X platform. I was heartened when I learned that Autodesk is expanding their software offerings for the Macintosh. I was thinking about starting a petition online to submit to DeLorme.

I have limited functionality right now with stored Routes and Waypoints in GPX files, importing them into Google Earth. The PN-40 is a great device on its own, so despite not getting the full computerized functionality out of it, it is still very useful to have. Still it would be very appealing if DeLorme would support the Mac so customers like myself could get more.

I'd like to hear what other participants in this forum have to say about working with GPS devices in general, working with DeLorme's, or sending feedback to developers. Any comments?
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a couple DeLorme products as well as PN20 GPS and have purchased Topo NA and Street Atlas. However I've given up on DeLorme making anything for the Mac. Their replies to make a Mac product have been to "run windows" and have said in the past they had no intentions of making a Mac product. Thankfully with the iPhone/iPad and other websites I can do what I want now without DeLorme. Had they gotten into the market a few years ago they could have owned the Mac mapping market and been a leader, but they are a specialized company that follows IMHO.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: DeLorme Street Atlas vs. Microsoft Street & Trips Reply with quote

I was using Microsoft Streets and Trips mapping software
on an inexpensive laptop in my car connected to a USB
GPS receiver. It worked just ok and MS never updated their
program. They came out with a new version every year that
was no different than the previous versions. Thieving assholes!
Same old maps, SOS! Their is one difference however, you
MUST authenticate S&T on the internet or it'll shutdown in
30 days. Did I say ASSHOLES?" I thought so. Don't you
just love being treated like a criminal?

Then a few years ago I discovered DeLorme Streets Atlas.
Its updated every year with new useful features. The GUI
is continually improved as is the entire program. Its much
more powerful and useful than MS S&T.

I would much prefer to run Street Atlas on my MB Air, natively.
I credit DeLorme for making SA a superb program but I just
don't see them porting it to OS X.

Edit: Let me add that I buy the new Premium version of DeLorme
Street Atlas every year do to them continually improving their
product. For example the Premium version has a built in phone
book for residences and businesses. It can even find and address
using the phone number from its phone book. How cool is that?
BTW, USA and Canada.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why i purchased a magellin gps the topo software is mac compatible and its made by national geographic so you have better maps then most other gps units also i hat to tell you you don't have to use windows with yours as well just purchase the latest topo software from your local sporting goods the mac system specs on the box will tell you what you need and several gps receivers are supported

on mine mine was a windows product i downloaded the updates only to find they where windows as well i went and purchased a new topo map software by national geographic called

National Geographic ToPo! explorer deluxe!!!!

it works on many gps receivers and is mac os x compatible you don't need the windows software that comes with the device just buy a map update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: