123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error message and reboot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpis68

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Error message and reboot Reply with quote

My mac mini using 10.6.8 was working fine but left unused for about 3 weeks last November. On my return, it boots fine, starts to work and after about 5 minutes, I get a message that I have to switch off and restart. This I do, generate and send the error message, and work fine for the rest of the day.
This problem appears every time I start up.
I contacted Apple who told me to reinstall Snow Leopard, which I did, loaded the updates but failed to resolve the problem.
The local Apple store have told me to save on a USB all the changes from the time I know it was ok, reformat the disk, reload Snow Leopard, update, load Time Machine back up from the time I knew it was ok, and then the changes from that date.
Apart from the complexity of doing all this, I am reluctant because I am not convinced this will solve the problem.
I have various software that I need, purchased and downloaded, which would mean that I have to rename the computer exactly the same for them to continue to work, and another which required an activation code which has now been misplaced (Quark).
As a test I have restarted, but not switched off, and the mini continues to work well. I have left it running for almost a week with no problem.
The problem is a bit like not being able to work properly until after the first coffee.
My questions are,
Is this a problem of the hard disk which can only be resolved by reformatting?
Could it be any other software loading that is causing the problem, Firefox, Thunderbird, Skype?
Has anyone else had this problem?
This is my second mini and I had a complete HD failure with the first, requiring a new hd and reloading software etc, and would rather avoid this if possible.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like main board death....

It sounds like your main board is about to fail sorry to say this is common and when it happens you will receive this error message.

Let me guess you are getting a black box that says you need to restart your computer correct.

this error is for hardware which means you can try several things.

1 did you update your memory recently if so then place the old memory back into the machine.

2. did you add a new hard drive recently if so go back to the old one.

3. did you install the latest efi firmware update if so you might have firmware fried your mac mini.

there are tons of issues which can occur
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like main board death....

It sounds like your main board is about to fail sorry to say this is common and when it happens you will receive this error message.

Let me guess you are getting a black box that says you need to restart your computer correct.

this error is for hardware which means you can try several things.

1 did you update your memory recently if so then place the old memory back into the machine.

2. did you add a new hard drive recently if so go back to the old one.

3. did you install the latest efi firmware update if so you might have firmware fried your mac mini.

there are tons of issues which can occur
Serpis68

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments.
Your answer seems much more feasible than that given by Apple, who insist that I should reformat my hard drive.
I have neither upgraded the memory nor changed the hard drive, so that cannot be the problem, nor the solution.
I had to look up what efi firmware was so as far as I know, neither was that the problem nor the potential solution.
I do indeed get the black box, even when I tried restarting before the black box arrived. About 5 minutes after initial start.
It never happens after the "black box" and continues to work "normally".
The problem only occurred after I got back from 3 weeks not using the mac mini.
I thought it might have been related to MacKeeper, but I had installed that 10 days before I went on holiday and since then no new software has been installed.
My question remains, should I reformat as Apple say, or is this not the solution? As far as I can see, it will only eliminate one possible source of the problem.
If, as you say, the main board is about to die, I am inclined to say to Apple that the reformat did not work and see what they say.
At the moment, during the week I leave the Mac Mini in sleep mode with no problem and it continues to function. I only get the problem (so far) when I start up every Monday morning. A solution is to keep on the way I am until catastrophe strikes and then take it in to Apple.
Any thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: