123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi-room AirPort Express question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Boden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Multi-room AirPort Express question Reply with quote

Okay, here's my question. I'm using a 2011 Mac mini as my central computer. Can I buy two AirPort Express routers for AirTunes and select both in iTunes at the same time and play the same music throughout my house? One would be used upstairs and one downstairs.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

Question: Can iTunes send a single AirTunes stream to multiple AirPort Express stations?
Answer: Yes. You can send an AirTunes stream to multiple remote AirPort Express units . The maximum number of remote AirPort Express units is up to six. The actual number that will work in your environment will depend on conditions such as building composition and radio interference, distance to the remote AirPort Express units, and available network capacity relative to your other usage.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1515
J Boden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! Thanks for posting the link as well.

Now, I need to shop around for two units. I see that Apple has refurbished units for $69, but I'm a little hesitant to go that route. Then again, they appear to have the same warranty as new units. Any thoughts on buying them this way?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Boden wrote:
That's great! Thanks for posting the link as well.

Now, I need to shop around for two units. I see that Apple has refurbished units for $69, but I'm a little hesitant to go that route. Then again, they appear to have the same warranty as new units. Any thoughts on buying them this way?

Buy them. They are very reliable. Likely the refurbs were just returned, even if they were fixed they will have a one year warranty. If you have AppleCare on either a Mac or an iPad, you can extended the warranty over to the Express units.
J Boden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have AppleCare for my Mac mini. So does that extra two years for hardware coverage extend to the AirPort Express units as well? I'm a little confused with that one. If so, I see no reason to skip on the refurbished units. The price is already great.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Boden wrote:
I have AppleCare for my Mac mini. So does that extra two years for hardware coverage extend to the AirPort Express units as well? I'm a little confused with that one. If so, I see no reason to skip on the refurbished units. The price is already great.

Yes it does.
I've never had anyone register two networking products (just one). You'll have to ask Apple about that one.
Please let me know if they cover both of them.
eigafan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airport Express FAQ

"You can send an AirTunes stream to multiple remote AirPort Express units . The maximum number of remote AirPort Express units is up to six."

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1515
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: