123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lion 10.7.2 update problem on Late 2006 Mini (upgraded)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Lion 10.7.2 update problem on Late 2006 Mini (upgraded) Reply with quote

Last night I attempted to install the Lion 10.7.2 update. I have a late 2006 model with an upgraded CPU (2.33 GHz). After running the update, the Mini refused to boot.

The problem was caused by the fact that the PlatformSupport.plist file was replaced as part of the update process, so it no longer contained the model number for my machine (Mac-F4208EC8)

I suppose the easiest way to fix this is to start up in firewire target mode and to delete the PlatformSupport.plist file.

As I don't have a second Mac, I did the following:
1. Create a Knoppix CD
2. Boot the Mac Mini from the Knoppix CD
By default, Knoppix will mount the Mac's HD in read only mode. To get around that:
3. Unmount the Mac's HD using this terminal command: "sudo umount /media/sda2" (where /media/sda2 is your Mac's HD).
4. Remount the HD using this terminal command: "sudo mount -thfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sda2 /media/sda2"
5. Use the Knoppix file manager to locate the PlatformSupport.plist file. Make sure you open the location as Root (Knoppix file manager menu option). Delete, rename or edit the file.

This should allow you to reboot the Mini without further problems.
Fred76

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use the OS X install CD that came with the Mac?
You can open a terminal window from there
Denon AVR-3312 with Airplay
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes install CDs get lost?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is going to be the most stupid thing i am going to say why not use the hacked update for hackintoshes it removes that file and has a nice pkg installer search your usual sources
Skripo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffered thought the same issue and heartily agree. Do a search for Multibeast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: