123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011 i5 2.5Ghz Mac mini: SSD upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: 2011 i5 2.5Ghz Mac mini: SSD upgrade Reply with quote

For some a 128 Gb SSD drive is not sufficient and if the existing 128 Gb SSD in their MacBook Pro is a Toshiba then the itch to "upgrade" gets irristable.

With the Toshiba SSD's having a "excruciating slow" stigma one can find these "newly pulled" SSD's on occasion at very reasonable rates on eBay.

What most of these "upgraders" are missing is that by putting in another brand of SSD they invalidate the Apple warranty. Neither are they aware that the majority of speed gains come from the "seek" times rather than from the actual sequential read/write speed of the SSD as measured with some synthetic benchmark. It took me quite some time to verify but the Toshiba SSD is one of the most reliable SSD available.

Bought one late last year and just found another identical one at an irresistable price so jumped on that one. (I always like to have a spare).

I am running Windows 7 but if I ever want to run OS X (once I decide to sell the computer) then no jumping through hoops is necessary to enable TRIM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: