123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting Airport Express to iTunes for headphones/speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul_Malloy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Connecting Airport Express to iTunes for headphones/speakers Reply with quote

Got a new Mini yesterday, replacing an old underpowered model with a 2.5 Ghz, 4GB, Radeon model for running an HTPC setup. Woo Hoo!

Spent part of yesterday setting everything up. Very easy to do with the Assistant moving old files to new machine. Everything is running great. Strong signal to the new Mac from my Airport Extreme base station.

Except...

I am trying to switch my AIrport Express from being a network extender (not needed with new Mini) to running speakers/headphones in another room using Airplay.

I don't see the Airplay icon in the lower right corner of iTunes, and my AE does not show up in Airport Utility. Home Sharing is on. Running newest iTunes 10.5.2. Any ideas?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried resetting the Airport Express ?

I've only recently bought one and I'm ready to box it back up and send it back. I bought mine just for it to join my existing wireless network allowing me to run speakers in the kitchen, but three times now it has failed to work and needed setting back up.

I find it so tempremental on my network, somedays it works fine, but others I end up spending hours resetting it and setting it up again. I've just about had enough off it now after it failed again a couple of days ago.

I've also had similar to you where Airport Utility can't find it, how are you connecting to it, wirelessly through the mini or via ethernet?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Paul_Malloy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I think I figured out the problem.

1. I had to do a hard reset on the Airport Express to get it to appear in the Airport Utility list of devices. Use a paperclip to push the tiny recessed button on the bottom of the AEX and hold it until the light blinks green several times. This wipes the old settings.
2. Then I had to change the AEX settings from the old setup (WDS network) to the new "Join existing network."
3. The Airplay menu in iTunes appears and disappears depending on whether Airplay devices are detected. This is not in any of the Apple documentation that I could find. The AEX is there now. I choose "Multiple speakers" so music could play thru my regular HT speakers and also upstairs on the AEX.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.
Paul_Malloy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Have you tried resetting the Airport Express ?

I've only recently bought one and I'm ready to box it back up and send it back. I bought mine just for it to join my existing wireless network allowing me to run speakers in the kitchen, but three times now it has failed to work and needed setting back up.

I find it so tempremental on my network, somedays it works fine, but others I end up spending hours resetting it and setting it up again. I've just about had enough off it now after it failed again a couple of days ago.

I've also had similar to you where Airport Utility can't find it, how are you connecting to it, wirelessly through the mini or via ethernet?

Thanks for the reply, Cypher. I think the problem you had can be fixed by extending the "lease" or network sign-on time on your base station router. There are two places in the Manual settings of the Airport Utility that allow you to change from the default to something long like 7 days. This may prevent the AE or your computers from getting dropped from the network.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_Malloy wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Cypher. I think the problem you had can be fixed by extending the "lease" or network sign-on time on your base station router. There are two places in the Manual settings of the Airport Utility that allow you to change from the default to something long like 7 days. This may prevent the AE or your computers from getting dropped from the network.

I'm not using an Airport Extreme but my ISP's router, the Airport Express does have a long lease time and is also on a reserved IP address.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: