123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato Intros Thunderbolt SSD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Elgato Intros Thunderbolt SSD Reply with quote

Elgato Intros Thunderbolt SSD
Monday, January 9, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Elgato today announced release of their Thunderbolt SSD for Mac users. According to the company, the Thunderbolt SSD combines a fast and reliable solid-state drive with Thunderbolt technology to form an ultra-portable solution that dramatically outperforms portable FireWire and USB drives. And, it draws its power directly through the Thunderbolt port without needing a separate power supply. The Elgato Thunderbolt SSD will be available in 120GB ($429.95) and 240GB ($699.95) capacities starting in February.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1767.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad more companies are getting on board with TB and SSD.

I'm surprised to see Elgato though Smile

I'm not sure what Elgato means by the following...
"So we decided to go back to our roots and create what we have always been longing for: a truly portable, ultra-fast external drive."

I wasn't aware that Elgato ever marketed hard drives.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of them ever having a hard drive either. And with that being said, I'm thinking they would be better off sticking with their core products. The EyeTV software is sort of lingering these days.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they are nice, but wow on the price. They even seem expensive based on the price of 120GB and 240GB standalone 6GB SSD's. That's one expensive little enclosure.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elgato has a decent brand name and awareness in the Mac marketplace, but I'm really surprised to see them get into hard drives. Because the competition out there is pretty darn fierce. They probably can't leverage SSD pricing very well either.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: