123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still tinkering with my first Mini (Early 2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Still tinkering with my first Mini (Early 2006) Reply with quote

Hey guys, I bought this Mini in January 2006 and it's still trucking along just fine, it's easily my most reliable computer. I've bumped the RAM to 2GB, added a 60GB SSD, dropped in a T7600 and it runs whatever is the current version of 10.6.

For the last several years it has been a media server in my house, but I just replaced it with a 2014 mini. The 2006 is now moving over to my girlfriend's kitchen to run as an iTunes server and Paprika(recipe manager) work station. We are going to build it into the wall with a custom sound system, it'll be perfect for her.

I did a little bit of digging around on here this morning and saw a couple of new (to me) things. One is a drive caddy to replace the dead optical drive with a SATA drive, this'll be a perfect way to save space.

That other thing that really interests me is an EFI flash that I saw mentioned, but isn't too easy to search for. It looks like I can flash the current 1,1 to 2,1 and upgrade the RAM to 3GB. I haven't seen any tutorials or link to the files needed to perform the EFI upgrade though. Any help here?

Thanks!
Once the project is done (a couple weeks) I'll be sure to post pictures and such!
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the EFI re-flash guide and it now identifies as 2,1

I ordered and drive caddy and two of the 801.11AC WiFi USB stick that you folks here seem to like, with the two, I'll setup the Mini to also be a WiFi repeater for better coverage in the house. I'll order the 4GB memory kit when this is up and running how she wants.

Right now I'm gonna see if I can get Yosemite running in it. I know the video card isn't supported, but if OS still works fine, then it won't really matter since there won't be any real video tasks being done.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your order the right caddy.

Remember there where two different types of plugs on the cd rom drives for mac mini's.

ones micro sata the other is micro ide.
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up and running with Yosemite. Turns out the easiest way to install it was to drop the Mini's SSD into my MacBook and install it from there, then change the boot.efi files and drop the drive back into the Mini. It booted right up!

I knew there were no video drivers available for this OS/hardware combo, but I didn't know that there are no audio drivers, that makes Yosemite a No-Go for this project.

So I just ordered a Lion USB key from Apple. It's looking like the easiest way to get the Paprika app working on this computer.

If anyone is interested, the wifi drivers don't work either. I'm not sure if there are other problems, but I can check things over the next day or two if anyone wants.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use sixty four on thirty two and use maverick it works fine and you can copy the graphics card driver from 10.7 and use it in maverick don't use yosemite.
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick with Lion once it arrives. The rest of this project will be done soon and I don't want to spend too much time messing with it.
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took some work, and a TON of time, but I finally got it up and running on Mountain Lion and working in a satisfactory way. I wanted to avoid modding individual files and copying over drivers/files as much as possible and eventually found a solution that worked for me. The whole point of this project was getting paprika running, and Mountain Lion was the oldest OS that it will run on.

First I had to collect a few things:

Retail Snow Leopard DVD *1
10.6.8 Combo Update
Lion Installer (Requires 10.6.Cool
Mountain Lion Installer
MLPostFactor (Requires Lion or later, must be run from the computer getting the OS)
Lion Bluetooth Preference pane

I booted it with the install DVD and made 3 partitions, the order was important later on.

1: MountainLion - 25GB
2: SnowLeopard - 25GB
3: installer - 10 GB

I then installed Snow Leopard on the #2 partition. I then removed the drive and put it in the MacBook 6,1(my main drive is in the optical bay, so the factory drive spot was open) and downloaded and ran the 10.6.8 combo update. I then ran the Lion installer. I then booted to my main drive and deleted the SystemVersion.plist file from Lion. Next I copied over the Mountain Lion installer and the MLPostFactor app.

I put the drive back in the Mini and booted it up, it ran Lion just fine. I then ran the MLPostFactor app and installed it to the #3 Installer partition. Next I booted into the Installer partition and ran the installer, putting the OS on the #1 Mountain Lion partition. I then rebooted back into the Installer partition and ran the MLPostFactor utility from the Utilities menu. After that I was able to boot into Mountain Lion.

Almost everything was working fine, I was much further along than my other attempts. I opened Disk utility and deleted the SnowLeopard partition. next i expanded the Mountain Lion partition to fill the rest of the free space. I left the Installer partition in place, just in case I needed it later.

The Bluetooth Preference pane caused preferences to crash, so I followed the instructions from here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20254492&postcount=4053

I also followed those instructions to change the system version to 10.8.5 (the version I downloaded from the App Store)

I'm left with only two small problems:

1: I get no audio output from the internal speaker. the audio out port works though, so I don't care about fixing this.

2: The system doesn't recognize the Apple Bluetooth keyboard after booting, but it I turn the keyboard off and back on it works fine. There are no issues after sleeping. I would like to fix this, but only if it isn't too much trouble.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it's running. Now I'm moving on to setting up the software for how this machine will be used.

*1 I tried to install Lion to the MacMini drive from my macBook, but it refused to since I'm already running Yosemite on it. I could have just make a USB install drive, and I may make on if I need to do this from scratch in the future.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive.

Could you have not just installed Lion via the USB key?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last paragraph covered that Smile

Since I left the "Installer" partition intact I can install from scratch whenever I want. I should probably mirror that partition to a USB key and throw the Bluetooth preference pane along with the updated SystemVersion.plst files on it. Then I'd have everything in one nice tidy bundle.

I did the available security and app updates from the App Store without any issues today.

We installed it's custom cabinet in the kitchen today and fired it up, I setup a bunch of apps. The custom speakers sound much better than I expected.

I used Automator to perform a sequence of actions when it boots. First it starts AULab to get the sound system EQ and Crossover running, then it hides it. It waits five seconds, then fires up Paprika, waits five seconds and fires up PS3 Media Server, waits five seconds then fires up iTunes.

We are all pretty happy with how it turned out, I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed that! Embarassed

Looking forward to the pics!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several hours of hacking away, I'm no closer to getting the Edimax 600AC wifi adaptor working.

But I did setup the audio system today and tuned it. I used an O'Scope to set the levels, then an RTA app on my iPad with a calibrated mic to smooth the frequency reponce at the OS level. I then tuned to taste. There is a night and day difference between it's final tune and bypassing the tune. My girlfriend's brother shook my hand after A/B'ng the before and after.

I'll work on pics soon, I've been taking them throughout the project.
Zymo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LumbermanSVO wrote:
After several hours of hacking away, I'm no closer to getting the Edimax 600AC wifi adaptor working.

That's peculiar. It work straight out of the box when I installed it on my 2.33 Core 2 Duo-upgraed 2006 Mini with Snow Leopard. After you installed the software, plugged in the 600AC and launch the software, does the software even see the device? If not, does it show up in System Profiler on your USB bus?
jannu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: brain wash Reply with quote

I have a late 2009 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. I have an external Western Digital disk connected via Firewire 800 that I use for Time Machine backups. Can I use the Mavericks installer from the App Store to install it on the external disk and then boot from that disk when needed?

My constraint: I develop Java software and I need Snow Leopard to run Apple Java 6 and a newer OS version to run Oracle Java 7 (and soon, Java Cool. Some days I need Snow Leopard, some days I'll need Mavericks. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: