123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini 2011-2012 w/ Internal Superdrive : SUCCESS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maitai2214

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Works in Mavericks perfectly Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
Congratulations !
How difficult was the pin#4 removal ? And where exactly did you do it ? (flat cable ? superdrive ?)

The removal was easy. You do it on the Flat Cable itself, on the power side of the SATA. Use a needle nose plier and yank it out. I will post pics as soon As i have time. Been super busy.
maitai2214

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Works in Mavericks perfectly Reply with quote

maitai2214 wrote:
geeji wrote:
Congratulations !
How difficult was the pin#4 removal ? And where exactly did you do it ? (flat cable ? superdrive ?)

The removal was easy. You do it on the Flat Cable itself, on the power side of the SATA. Use a needle nose plier and yank it out. I will post pics as soon As i have time. Been super busy.

Here is the image of the Optical Flex Cable's Pin I removed from the power side. Just to confirm, I am using the UJ267 drive. I am able to Rip Blurays using Make MKV and also burn bluray movies using Toast, working with all updates as of late, under Mavericks. (Movies that I already own of course).
geeji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy mentioned on iFixit forum that he had to remove the SATA connector pin (#4) for a Mac Mini 2011 too, when adding a UJ-267 Blu-ray burner.
I have no idea if he needed it because of the Blu-ray burner (I used a Superdrive on my own Mac Mini 2011) or because his Mac Mini 2011 has a somewhat different firmware from mine.
But to be on the safe side, it now seems prudent to perform this pin removal on the Mac Mini 2011 too, even thou some like me may not actually need it (you don't really want to disassemble your Mac Mini twice Wink).
Zendo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: 2014 quad Minis - same process? Reply with quote

Great article, thanks for going to the trouble to post all of the valuable info!

Are these instructions still valid for doing this mod with any of the newer quad-core Minis? While reading this post I only noted mention of the 2011 and 2012 mini's.
geeji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been no update for the Mac Mini in 2013. The next update will likely be "mid 2014".
So yes, those instructions are still valid for the "current" Mac Mini, which may remain "current" for only a few more weeks.
After that, who knows... Wink
Zendo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting to see what the mid 2014 has got on board... then I'll pull the trigger on this mod.

Any updated suggestions for the thinner 9.5mm optical? Mine is dying and I need to replace it. I was thinking I might as well get the thinner one now. The original suggestions on this thread are a few years old though.

Also - what do you guys think is better:

The 2.7ghz dual core i7 or... the 2.5ghz quad core i5?
geeji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of possible 9.5mm SATA optical drives (many not produced anymore) :

 SATA slot-in Superdrive 9.5mm
Matshita UJ-867A/B
Matshita UJ-897A
Matshita UJ-868 (RPC1)
Matshita UJ-898A (RPC1)
Matshita UJ-8A8 (RPC1)
Hitachi-LG GS20F / GS20N / GS21N
Hitachi-LG GS23N (RPC1)
Hitachi-LG GS30N (RPC1)
Hitachi-LG GS31N (= GS23N ?)
Sony Optiarc AD-5960S (RPC1)
Sony Optiarc AD-5970H (RPC1)

 Blu-Ray Reader, Slot-load, 9.5mm
Matshita UJ-167

 Blu-Ray Burner, Slot-load, 9.5mm
Matshita UJ-267, UJ-267SA, UJ-267DS
Matshita UJ-262

And as a rule, I will always choose the faster processor, even with less of them (2.7ghz dual core i7).
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to that list, I have the following in my 2009 mini:

Pioneer DVD-RW DVRTS09 (12.7mm SATA optical drive - seen as "Apple Shipping Drive")
---
Edit - to correct width - only suitable for 2009 minis and earlier.

Last edited by mooblie on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:28 am; edited 3 times in total
geeji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Pioneer DVD-RW DVRTS09 (9.5mm SATA optical drive - seen as "Apple Shipping Drive")

For me, the DVRTS09 is 12.7mm, NOT 9.5mm.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
For me, the DVRTS09 is 12.7mm, NOT 9.5mm.

Ah, thanks! I have edited/corrected my post - only suitable for earlier minis then?
TruLeo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trial&error wrote:
Hi All,

Just to say that I managed to do it by taking out pin no. 4 of the power side.

It actually didn't immediately work, but when I open up about this mac, more info, storage whilst having a disc in the slot it went on to swallow it. Seems the system need to be reminded of the existence of the optical drive.

Hope it helps to who ever out there trying to do the hack.

ps. I'm now awaiting for those Samsung 840 Evo to come out at my local store (1TB sounds good)

This is an old thread I am bring back to life! Thanks to everyone on the forum that posted their experience with this mod. I just successfully converted my 2011 into a 2010 with a UJ267 Blu-Ray Burner..

Here's my experience, similiar toTrial&Error. My optical drive works in OS X Mavericks, but only after I go to "About this Mac\System Report\Disc Burning". Once I go to that screen, it will accept or eject any disc. Now if I eject the disc and wait say 20 minutes and try to reinsert a disc, it won't accept it. I will have to go back into the "Disc Burning" screen. It's as if the optical drive does not get initialized when Mac OS first boots up and times out during when there's not a disc inside after several minutes. I have tested this BOTH with the removal of Pin 4 on the power side and one without the pin removal. I am getting the same results.

On another note, I have bootcamp running Windows 7. In Windows, the optical drive works perfect from initial boot, etc.

This issue is only occuring in Mac OS.

**** For anyone who has done this mod, can you please take a minute and verify if your Mac accepts disc without having to go into "Disc Burning" menu screen? This will benefit many others!

Thank you.
geeji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TruLeo wrote:
I just successfully converted my 2011 into a 2010 with a UJ267 Blu-Ray Burner..
**** For anyone who has done this mod, can you please take a minute and verify if your Mac accepts disc without having to go into "Disc Burning" menu screen? This will benefit many others!

Congratulations for a successful mod !
Regarding your "lazy BD drive", I can only confirm that on my own Mac Mini 2011, using a Superdrive and NOT a Blu-ray drive, I never had this issue.
Considering that Apple NEVER supported any internal Blu-ray drive on any Mini, that's probably reason enough to have such glitches.
I suppose some periodic background shell script or Applescript which "pings" the drive could be a practical workaround.
If somebody with the problem has the incentive to do it... Smile
TruLeo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The apple script stuff would be beyond my skill sets. lol. It seems as if it's something within the firmware on the mini 2011. My EFI/boot rom is up to date on my mini 2011. Not sure what it can be.

On another note, I installed the uj267 in the 2010 and it accepted and ejected perfectly running Mac OS Mav. I'm not sure why my 2011 isn't doing the same. I was attempting to update the firmware on the uj267 with hopes to the fix but without success. All the firmware updates that I am able to find can only be updated through a sony computer. This little hiccup is quite frustrating.

Hopefully, others will be able to chime in with their experiences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: