123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini 2011-2012 w/ Internal Superdrive : SUCCESS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultrix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine to work on a 2012 mini with a UJ267. Here are the details...

First off, I ended up breaking of the capacitor that has been mentioned when trying to reassemble the mini. Thankfully, it peeled the cap leads off the motherboard so I was easily able to solder the cap in a different spot that wouldn't interfere with the ODD.

A picture can be seen here: http://imgur.com/pUOYhwH

With respect to the optical drive, I had the same issues of the drive not wanting to swallow the disc. Not sure what could be wrong: the ODD, ODD cable, sata connector due to broken cap - I ended up getting a Slimline SATA to SATA converter. When connecting the ODD to the mini using the hard drive cable and the slimline converter, the drive swallowed the disc!

Referencing the slimline pinouts here: http://bit.ly/12h2WM8

Using a multimeter I was able to determine that when using the HDD cable with slimline adapter pin 4 (manufacturing diagnostic) was not connected to the mac mini header. When using the apple optical drive cable, the diagnostic pin was connected. After reading the spec and finding this pin is optional, I simply decided to remove it from the apple cable.

Using an xacto knife, I removed a 1/4" wide slice down the side of the slimline end of the apple odd cable, and using needle nose pliers yanked out the pin. Unfortunately, I didn't take pics, but the portion of the connector I removed is highlighted in green on this picture: http://imgur.com/LxKNNac

After removing the pin, the ODD would swallow drives. I booted the mini off both a rEFIt cd and a windows 7 cd. I am running windows 7 on it and installed off the cd. Blurays and everything seems to work just fine.
geeji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, congratulations ultrix, you are likely the first one on the planet with a functional Mac Mini 2012 + internal Blu-ray burner !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I understand you run only native Windows, booting directly from it, so the DVD non-swallowing issue seems definitely to be some hardware or firmware issue, not an OS X one.
I am curious how you came to suspect that the ODD might work with a slimline adapter when it would not when connected directly : educated guess or damn lucky ?

Also, why did you need to boot from a rEFIT cd, since any Mac can natively boot from a properly installed Boot Camp Windows partition ? You did not want to bother with OS X at all ?

I am also curious to understand why justbecause did not seem to have any problem with a prominent capacitor, when both you and Not Sure did (both with UJx67 ODD). May be different Mac Mini motherboards with different sizes of capacitors ? Or UJx67 Blu-ray drives slightly bigger than slim Superdrives ?
ultrix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I observed the disc swallowing issue to be hardware/firmware related and not OS related. With no hard drives connected to the motherboard, only the ODD, I could not get the drive to swallow the disc until modifying the ODD cable as I described.

Now that I think about it, I did also experiment prior to modding the ODD cable with a tray loading dvd drive off of my thinkpad laptop since I wasn't sure if performing cut #6 broke my UJ267. When using the tray loading drive, I could not get the drive to eject the tray. Pressing the eject button wouldn't do anything. When I used a paper clip to eject the tray and put a disc in, the drive did spin up and read the disc. It appeared only the insert/eject functionality was broken. Knowing that disconnecting the manufacturing diagnostic pin on the ODD cable fixed this, I suspect the mini's motherboard is sending some special signals the drives don't know how to interpret.

I was playing around with rEFIt to try and get windows to install in EFI mode in order to get AHCI support enabled on the SATA controller. Come to find out, the mini's EFI is not compatible with EFI v2, so that was a dead end. Also, apple had fixed the bootcamp drivers to enable AHCI on the SATA controller since whatever blog post I had been reading at the time was written.

I chose to boot straight into windows and not use bootcamp since my primary use case is a DVR with an HD HomeRun Prime and I didn't want to lose any hard drive space to an osx partition.
geeji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultrix wrote:
Knowing that disconnecting the manufacturing diagnostic pin on the ODD cable fixed this, I suspect the mini's motherboard is sending some special signals the drives don't know how to interpret.

Well, that's seems quite simple now that you verified it, but considering the complexity of the SATA protocol and its multiple messages, I personally would not have had any hint it could be some hardware signal which just needed to be disconnected...
So congratulations again for a very educated guess Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
We now just have to wait confirmation by justbecause and Not Sure it also worked for them on OS X too (99.99% probability).
ultrix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it resolves the OSX issues they are seeing. I would not be surprised if installing OSX from a dvd still shows the error that the computer is incompatible with the installation media. I think the new way is to use a thumbdrive. I do expect the drive to work once OSX is installed though. I can burn a mountain lion install disc and see if it boots on my machine.

By the way, here is what the sata spec says on this pin:

http://www.serialata.org/documents/SATASlimlineConnector%20V10.pdf

MD - Signal pin used by device vendors during device testing. No host
connection is allowed, device connection is optional.
Not Sure

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been away, just checked this thread to see if there were any updates.

ultrix, thanks, I guess I need to take that mini apart once more Smile

Don't have much time now but I will report back once I have had a go.

I also wanted to only run windows because me and finder do NOT get along AT ALL. Wanted a mini for low energy consumption, form factor and low noise.

ultrix, do you happen to know what is different about booting using EFI?

Initially I disconnected the HD and the mini would show a folder with a "?" on the screen when you turned it on. Probably indicating it can't find an OS.

After I installed windows on a bootcamp partition, I took the internal HD with the bootcamp partition and connected it to a USB port and the mini did LESS than it did originally. NOTHING to be precise, I did not even get the folder with the "?" anymore.

I am fully aware that windows will not normally install on USB drives and won't boot because it unloads USB drivers during startup but I edited all those files and I at least expected some kind of boot with piles of errors if I had made mistakes in editing the USB related ini files and the registry. But I got NOTHING on the screen. Mini appeared like it was dead.

After putting the drive back inside it worked as normal.

Any tips?

When you say you booted from both a rEFIt CD and a windows 7 DVD, are you saying you need to use the one before you can use the other?

Or should the mini be able to boot form a windows DVD natively somehow without using bootcamp?

I had trouble installing the drivers under windows as the utility refused to install so I had to install the drivers manually.

When I was done USB3 did not work. All I got was USB2 speed.

So far not much fun.....
geeji

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way Apple implemented Boot Camp is a pain : you can only have ONE Boot Camp partition, and it MUST be on the INTERNAL disk.
That explains your difficulties.
Many people have tried like you to circumvent those limitations, but AFAIK none have been successful, at least in a straightforward manner.

On the other hand, if what you dislike most in OS X is just the Finder, you could as well boot with OS X, then immediately start Parallels and switch to Windows full screen.
Parallels does not have the same restrictions as Boot Camp regarding the "latest" Windows version installed (but you have to buy it separately).
I will be interested to know if ultrix has a more direct solution for Windows boot...
trial&error

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried Ultrix method of taking out pin 4 of the slimline SATA.

Strangely it didn't work. On close observation, the manufacturing diagnostic seems to be located at the power side of the slimline connector not the data side (power side has 6 pins as oppose to data side's 7 pins). It is also the same one being referred to in http://bit.ly/12h2WM8.

Could I have taken out the wrong pin? Ultrix since you didn't take the picture, can you please confirm that it is the power side pin 4 that need to be taken out?

Thanks
trial&error

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just to say that I managed to do it by taking out pin no. 4 of the power side.

It actually didn't immediately work, but when I open up about this mac, more info, storage whilst having a disc in the slot it went on to swallow it. Seems the system need to be reminded of the existence of the optical drive.

Hope it helps to who ever out there trying to do the hack.

ps. I'm now awaiting for those Samsung 840 Evo to come out at my local store (1TB sounds good)
geeji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations !
AFAIK, you are the first one to report success for that hack under OS X Very Happy .
How difficult was that surgery ? (once you decided what to pull out).
After the system recognized the drive once, does it recognizes it again automatically after a Power Off ?
Too bad you did not take any pictures...
maitai2214

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Works in Mavericks perfectly Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know, I followed everything I learned from this thread and was able to successfully mod my 2012-2013 Mac mini core i7 with a superdrive. It works in mavericks perfectly. I had to remove the diagnostic pin #4 from the power side to get the disk to sallow, as well as soldering a 22 gauge wire to the capacitor, and made the cuts needed for the optical drive tray. Everything works! Upgraded to mavericks and running the drive.
geeji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Works in Mavericks perfectly Reply with quote

Congratulations !
How difficult was the pin#4 removal ? And where exactly did you do it ? (flat cable ? superdrive ?)
MrMini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW bookmarked, thanks!
maitai2214

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Works in Mavericks perfectly Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
Congratulations !
How difficult was the pin#4 removal ? And where exactly did you do it ? (flat cable ? superdrive ?)

The removal was easy. You do it on the Flat Cable itself, on the power side of the SATA. Use a needle nose plier and yank it out. I will post pics as soon As i have time. Been super busy.
maitai2214

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Works in Mavericks perfectly Reply with quote

maitai2214 wrote:
geeji wrote:
Congratulations !

The removal was easy. You do it on the Flat Cable itself, on the power side of the SATA. Use a needle nose plier and yank it out. I will post pics as soon As i have time. Been super busy.

Here is the image of the Optical Flex Cable's Pin I removed from the power side. Just to confirm, I am using the UJ267 drive. I am able to Rip Blurays using Make MKV and also burn bluray movies using Toast, working with all updates as of late, under Mavericks. (Movies that I already own of course).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: