123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accelerate Your G4 Mac Under Leopard By 30% For $15...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geeji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Accelerate Your G4 Mac Under Leopard By 30% For $15... Reply with quote

Well, almost !

My 2005 G4 Mac Mini, running 10.5.8, was plagued with "CPU hogs", which for whatever reason, even when in background, would run amok and eat most of the available CPU, pushing it to 100% usage.
The worst offender by far was Firefox 3.6.x (Flash !), but others, like HP Device Monitor (coming with the Officejet 6500 printer) or Virtual PC also contributed.
Curiously the Intel versions of those programs did not seem to exhibit the same behavior on more recent Mac Minis, so there may be some OS contribution to that phenomenon.

But recently, while looking for "Jettison", I discovered "App Tamer", by St. Clair Software : this small system enhancer automatically suspends the Applications you designate when they move to background. In my case, instead of always running to close to 100% usage, I now have 70% or so of idle CPU, even when Firefox is opened; and my Mini/Leopard is now much more reactive.
Note that, obviously, when you have some heavy task (such as a long download), it is better to bring Firefox or the concerned application to the foreground, or to disable temporarily App Tamer for some minutes (1 click menu)...

So you may want to test this "un-decelerator", which can be downloaded for free and tried for 2 weeks before buying. Let us know if it works for you too Smile
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you know something interesting this sounds fishy to me i wouldn't use any app tamer at all because it could mess things up royal and what you need to understand is you need core image support which isn't available on the g4 mini this is why you have a huge load problem with the g4 mac mini
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is available. You have to have the last gen G4 minis though.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
geeji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
and you know something interesting this sounds fishy to me i wouldn't use any app tamer at all because it could mess things up royal and what you need to understand is you need core image support which isn't available on the g4 mini this is why you have a huge load problem with the g4 mac mini

Well, if you have a cleaner solution to un-decelerate Firefox on my Mac Mini G4 or my Cube G4, I am VERY interested.
My only point was that App Tamer seems to offer, in my case, an interesting workaround to my CPU overconsumption problem, but for sure nobody forces you to use it if you don't have a similar problem...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: