123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

early 2009 mini upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: early 2009 mini upgrade Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

Iíve been reading this great forum for a couple of weeks, learned a lot from your topics, so first Thank You All for this huge knowledge base on minis!

Iím looking forward to boost my mac's performance, itís an early 2009 2 GHz C2D Mini 2GB RAM. the memory was the only upgrade the mini got when I bought it 3 years agoÖ this Ďbiggerí uprade projects goes like this:

- 120 GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD with the data doubler they offer - for boot & apps, stock HDD replacement
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMMSSD115/

- OWC 8 GB ram kit
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

- WD Scorpio Black 500 GB 7200RPM - to replace the Superdrive, mounted with the data doubler OWC ships with the SSD, for system backup & storing work related stuff
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD5000BPKT/

- 1.0TB WD Caviar Balck 7200RPM - external, to store music, paintings, comis, etc.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD1002FAEX/

- NewerTech miniStack - encloses the Caviar Black, connects to mini with FW800
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MSQKIT0GB/

- and some visual pimping

My questions:

I know with the stock HDD I have speed limitations to 1.5 Gb but it will be solved with the SSD replacement. will I have the same negotiated speed with the Scorpio connected to the SuperDrive slot? Iíve read that the Scorpios are fast as hell, but canít find out what limitations does the SDrive slot has, if it has any. will the Scorpio shine in that slot with great speed?

are the OWC products reliable? sure they have a big load of compatibility & performance guides on their sites, but anyone has played with the SSD/RAM combo they offer? especially any detailed experiences with an early 2009 Mac mini? how trustable items they sell?
the ministack goes the same, any issues with the FW800 port and the housing itself? will the FW be fast enough to play my itunes library from the drive?

on the visual side, Iíd like to buy somewhere or from someone a 2009 mini server case. how can I get one? Iíve been searching for the last few weeks (ebay, amazon) with no success. donít know itís something I can buy as a repairt part or I have to get the 2009 server model to just get the case? Iím getting nowhere finding one, really need help on this...

Iím using my mini as a workstation for print & webdesign and digital painting, running Snow Leopard. I know the upgrade listed above costs a lot, but I donít want to buy a new Mac. for now, this little slut suits well my workflow needs, I just want to celebrate her glory and give her some performance boost & sexy look Wink

Answers and opinions are really appreciated! Thanks!

ps: this is a great community, I didn't want my first post to have several grammal mistakes, but it's very late now in mid Europe... sorry if my english is poor at this time
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OWC are the go-to-guys for many of us Apple fans.
I've purchased drives, (SSDs and conventional) and memory from them, all top of the line , with no problems.
They are an excellent source for parts and upgrades for those, like myself who dabble with vintage Apple equipment.
I'd give them a 10 out of 10.
pompad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jb!
pompad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pls ignore my really lame question about the Superdrive slot, I found the specs in System Profiler, well done me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: