123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Saving Battery Backup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMac mini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Power Saving Battery Backup Reply with quote

What would be a good Power Saving Battery Backup for a 2011 Mac mini? But have any of you guys used them? If so which ones do you use? Which is better for Mac Smart-UPS or APC?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Saving Battery Backup Reply with quote

iMac mini wrote:
What would be a good Power Saving Battery Backup for a 2011 Mac mini? But have any of you guys used them? If so which ones do you use? Which is better for Mac Smart-UPS or APC?

APC all the way. They manufacture more power protection products then all the other companies combined.

I have a couple of Tripplite UPSs as that I bought from Costco because the price was right.
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=747
I'm happy with them but if I had the choice, I'd choose APC every time.
iMac mini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will buy a APC unit. Thanks B.B.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Costco Tripplite's are nice, if you can find them. We have about half dozen in use at work and no problems with them at all. Challenge is Costco doesn't always have them in stock. Sad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
The Costco Tripplite's are nice, if you can find them. We have about half dozen in use at work and no problems with them at all. Challenge is Costco doesn't always have them in stock. Sad

They look good too. The information panel on the front looks very nice with it's blue illumination. It has a very nice glow.

It's also fun to be able to view the incoming voltage. Mine ranges from 116 -> 122 volts.

A good UPS has built in voltage regulation, it's not just a battery back-up.

People often take clean power for granted, but when you can visually see the fluctuation in voltages, it really makes you appreciate that you have a UPS regulating the power.

I have 3 UPSs in my home. 2 are Tripplite and one is an APC.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Bill, I'm amazed at some of the "Brown Outs" I've experinced, not many but I've seen that drop very low, and then come back. I use ours when we travel with our RV to protect the TV & ATV since many RV parks are known for low power issues.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
I agree Bill, I'm amazed at some of the "Brown Outs" I've experinced, not many but I've seen that drop very low, and then come back. I use ours when we travel with our RV to protect the TV & ATV since many RV parks are known for low power issues.

Good idea. I'm sure it has done more for you than you even know and it has easily paid for itself. You certainly know when your electronics have failed but it is difficult to measure if they have been saved.

Most people do not know what brown outs (not enough power) are. They are typically worse for your electronics than minor surges.

Often we question if we should spend a $100 or $200 more bucks on a CPU upgrade and overlook power conditioning. I look at this in the same way that I look at riding motorcycles. Spend a few $1000 on good protective gear and training, then put the remainder of your budget towards the bike. I have to laugh when I see people riding $30,000 Harleys with $50 worth of protective gear.

For me this is an interesting topic. I know most people find this a boring area, but I don't. I actually won a leather jacket for selling more APC products than anyone else in my company. Smile

I see quite a few Macs come into our service department with fried logic boards. The most likely cause of the failure was power related.

I'm a firm believer.

Having worked on the drilling rigs in IT, I've seen the issues many, many times. I worked on one drilling rig where the computers kept shutting down. I diagnosed it as a power issue. After I put conditioners on the computers they never shut down again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: