123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-installing Lion on new drive, getting everything back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bananapie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re-installing Lion on new drive, getting everything back? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am a Mac convert. Even though I design PC cases for a living. Laughing

I just purchased the 2.5Ghz 2011 mini with dedicated graphics, and of course I need speed, so I purchased a pair of 240GB Patriot Pyro SE drives and more memory.

Installing the drives seems simple, but what I need help with is understanding how I get all the software that came with the Mac back--namely iLife?

I read that I can simply install the drives, and using a key combo download Lion right to the primary disk, but then I will have to pay for iLife again, right? What is the best way of doing this...I don't mind doing a clean install as I don't really have anything anyways.

Also, am I going to need to format the drives BEFORE installing them into the Mac, or can I do it in the BIOS/Disk utility or w/e.

I did do some basic searches around the net before posting this, but there seemed to be different information.

Thanks!
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link you might find useful
http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2011_server_hd/
They mention making sure you have backed up your data to an external drive before commencing.
Better yet is to clone your boot drive using an app such as Carbon copy...
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7032/carbon-copy-cloner
this way you'll have an exact bootable copy of he original boot drive and all your applications on your new HD, ready to install into your mini.
And yes, you do have to partition and format the new drives for your mac, as most drives come with a MS Windows partition and file system.
This can be done using the external enclosure, just before you do the cloning process.
Once your new drives are installed you can use the originals in the external enclose for backup clones and or Time Machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: