123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Skins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Mac Mini Skins Reply with quote

Mac Mini Skins
Thursday March 10, 2005

Skinit.com has introduced a line of Skins for the Mac mini. The Skins retailing for $19.95 are non-permanent adhesive-backed vinyl coverings. Skinit.com offers the Mac mini Skins in many stock designs including Carbon Fiber, Camo, Clouds and more. You can also upload your own design for an additional $2.95. They have sections designated "Premium Designs" and "Sponsor Designs" that are coming soon. Skinit.com also makes Skins for Cell Phones, PDA’s, Gaming Hardware and MP3 Players. Look for a full review soon!

Skinit.com – "This Skin Set consists of a 4-piece vinyl Skin that covers the top, 2-sides, and the front of the Apple Mac mini protecting your computer from day-to-day use and adds a personal touch! SkinIt Skins are made from high-quality vinyl that uses a non-permanent adhesive that will allow you to simply peel off the Skin when its time for a change."

We would like to thank our friends over at Htmini.com for some additional information.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/25.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
jase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are actually kinda cool. A lot more cost effective than painting, and easy to remove as well.

I like the wood grain, and the marble ones. I don't think I'd buy any, because I do like the standard look... but it's a neat idea.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
Those are actually kinda cool. A lot more cost effective than painting, and easy to remove as well.

I like the wood grain, and the marble ones. I don't think I'd buy any, because I do like the standard look... but it's a neat idea.

I agree with you. My only concern is they will mark up your mini. I've seen some reviews on these type Skins from other companies for the iPod and they haven't been glowing.
idave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda cool but some designs are really tacky.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
tundra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a good way to try a color out. What someone needs to do is make a static cling one for just for the top. Since it's smooth like glass it would work.
timerlake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they don't look that good in person. If you really want a colored mini Colorware is the way to go. You get what you pay for!
vertigo25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
Kinda cool but some designs are really tacky.

Some? Try "most." It looks like they just went through some cheap rip-off of PhotoDisc. None of the designs seem to even take the over-all design into consideration. I guess the ability to design your own might compensate.

Their website is pretty crappy, too... that little nav window to look at the designs has to be one of the worst things I've ever seen. But I digress.

I'm wondering how these things will effect operating temperature. Don't they have the potential to overheat the machine?
epic_ed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vertigo25 wrote:

Some? Try "most." It looks like they just went through some cheap rip-off of PhotoDisc. None of the designs seem to even take the over-all design into consideration. I guess the ability to design your own might compensate.

Their website is pretty crappy, too... that little nav window to look at the designs has to be one of the worst things I've ever seen. But I digress.

I'm wondering how these things will effect operating temperature. Don't they have the potential to overheat the machine?

I'm with you…. 98.999% of them are sh*tty designs and I’ll pass! The only ones that look cool are the Carbon Fiber and Solid colors. I don’t think heat will be an issue. Most of the heat goes out the back with the fan and the vents on the bottom of the case. I would be interested in seeing some temperature readings to find out for sure.
jase

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww... come on. You know you love the ones in the "Bling" category... dey is PHAT.

I'm gonna get my Mini dropped... gonna get 20" spinnerz for my mouse wheel... Bling skinz all around... I'll be surfin' like a playa, bro...

Laughing

Ok, maybe not....
idave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
Aww... come on. You know you love the ones in the "Bling" category... dey is PHAT.

I'm gonna get my Mini dropped... gonna get 20" spinnerz for my mouse wheel... Bling skinz all around... I'll be surfin' like a playa, bro...

Laughing

Ok, maybe not....

RLMAO! Yo my mini be da bomb widees skins!
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
san2005

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are missing the bigger point here. The exciting news is there’s going to be an aftermarket for Mac mini accessories with some fun things. Just look at what happened to the iPod and how the aftermarket accessories snowballed for it. Sure some of the designs are cheesy but there are a few good ones here and there. I think they would have been better served by showing a few more desings on the Mac mini itself.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might pick up a black carbon fiber one for a car install I'm working on. Silver does not match my car interior very well.
iLife's a Bitch!
epic_ed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:

Laughing

Ok, maybe not....

Mini dropped...rlmao!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: