123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinion! Help! Macbook Pro Purchase
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Opinion! Help! Macbook Pro Purchase Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm ordering a Macbook Pro. My dilemma is about which one to get. The 2.3 GHZ i5 13" (Early 2011) is $100. less expensive than the Updated 2.4 GHz i5 13" (Late 2011). and the only difference I can see is a .1 GHz. difference in Speed & another 180 GB of Hard Drive Space. Is this really worth $100. bucks? Especially since I have a 500GB HD lying around here that I could Upgrade myself. The only other difference is the 2.3 may come with Snow Leopard Discs & I get the Free Lion Upgrade in the App Store & then the 2.4 comes with No Discs & already Just has Lion Preinstalled. I need some opinions ASAP. I'm making this Purchase tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrades in the 13" models aren't as substantial as the upgrades to the 15" & 17" models where video card were upgraded across the board. That being said the 13" models only had a $100 price drop vs. the $200 price drop on the previous gen 15" and 17" models making them an even more attractive bargain.

It's a tough call, you can't go wrong either way. $100 pays for 1/3 of the AppleCare (which I believe you are a fan of).

There is a refurb up for grabs right now, that would be a sure bet.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

$929 for the $1099 model

This is a very good deal
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bandit! Those Refurbs look like great deals but for some reason, I hate the idea of buying a Refurb, even if it is from Apple. I know I should not feel that way. I saw Apple Refurb Unboxings on YouTube & they look brand new & sometimes you even get a Bonus boost of Ram.

I was planning on buying at the usual place. B&H in NY.
Free Shipping & No Tax to Florida.
So the 2.3 is $1034. & the 2.4 is $1138.

But That i7 Refurb looks tempting. Thank you.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't worry about the refurbs Dino. They come with a full guarantee and you can also purchase Applecare on top just as with any "NEW" purchase.

My Mac Mini was a refurb and I was really impressed with it, I'm convinced mine was brand new. Sadly I didn't get any extra ram or a larger HDD though, shame on you Apple UK Very Happy

I bought the older 2009/10 model just as the new shaped Mini was launched and I got a very good deal. I wouldn't think twice about buying another refurb.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cypher, What's Up? Long Time. Smile Yea but what about Scratches or Nicks & Chips? I have OCD about such things. Smile I would Freak! Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Hey Cypher, What's Up? Long Time. Smile Yea but what about Scratches or Nicks & Chips? I have OCD about such things. Smile I would Freak! Smile

All refurbs looks 100% new. I have never heard anyone experience anything less. Guaranteed, you'll be glad you bought the refurb. Apple will make sure you are 100% satisfied.

Refurb Store commitment

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system.
is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy6jRYiefE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7I5qhf19v8
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I bought the Late 2011 2.4 i5 from B&H for $1098. Free Shipping, No Tax & a Free Parallel's Desktop 7. I think I'm going to love it. Btw, on another note. Had I bought the Early 2011 Model & if in fact, Lion was Pre-Installed, B&H said they would not include the Snow Leopard & iLife Disc. From what others have said, that is wrong. It does not matter since I did not buy that Model, but of course I need to know. Here is B&H's Reply:

Hello , my name is Jacob C:
Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.
If lion is installed we would not be providing the extra cd`s for snow leopard and ilife.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

As usual, thanks to you guys for all of your help & opinions. I appreciate it!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Last edited by Dino1956 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What B&H said is correct. Machines with Lion preinstalled do not come with any disks at all, not even a Lion disk.

Sounds like you got a good deal with Parallels and no tax.

I'm sure you will enjoy the MBP they are very nice computers. I get spoiled being around new Apple products every day, but I still fully appreciate them. They are truly beautiful.

I suggest you look at getting yourself a Speck case. I've seen plenty of 2 year old machines that come in on trade, that look brand spanking new when these cases are used.

Enjoy the new laptop!
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bill. The guys on the Apple Discussions site seem to think they should still Include the SL & iLife Discs, since that Serial Number came with them in the 1st place.

I was looking into the Speck Cases but some say they scratch the unit slightly & a lot of dirt builds up between case & Macbook.

And I really love all my Macs & my iPad. I think I did good for 4 years being a Mac User. With all of you guys helping out of course. Smile

I will be set for a while now. Mac Mini, iPad, Macbook Pro & iMac.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Thank you Bill. The guys on the Apple Discussions site seem to think they should still Include the SL & iLife Discs, since that Serial Number came with them in the 1st place.

I was looking into the Speck Cases but some say they scratch the unit slightly & a lot of dirt builds up between case & Macbook.

And I really love all my Macs & my iPad. I think I did good for 4 years being a Mac User. With all of you guys helping out of course. Smile

I will be set for a while now. Mac Mini, iPad, Macbook Pro & iMac.

I can guarantee that any unit that came with Lion installed does not have any disks. If the machine had SL installed it would still have SL installed. It would then come with system disks 1&2 (SL and iLife). You'd then have to download Lion or purchase it on a USB thumb drive.

As far as the Speck cases go. Speck themselves recommends in their instructions to periodically remove the case and clean the case and laptop. That being said, I've seen hundreds of laptops with them and without them. The units that have them look considerable better over time vs. not having them. Those cases snap on so tight and exact. They are actually quite difficult to remove. There is next to zero wiggle room once they are on. If you installed them with dirt I between there would be an issue (common sense).

That being said, I respect your freedom of choice an your ability to use your own judgement.

Btw I really like the satin finishes. The red looks super classy in satin and the black is pretty nice as well.

Take what you read online with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people online talking out of their asses, with little to no real life experience. I see this stuff every day and you know as a friend that I am looking out for your best interest. When is see a laptop come in on trade that has a Speck case installed, I am very happy. I know it will look like new, be dent and scratch free.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, I value your Opinion & you sold me on the Speck Case. I'm going with the Black. As fastidious as I am about my stuff, the case will be a good thing to preserve it & keep it new looking. Although I am a firm believer that Apple Products are so beautiful by themselves, that cases take away from their beauty. But one big scratch & I know I will cry my eyes out! Smile L.O.L. I'm going to use my old incase soft case to carry it around in. This was used for my iBook, which I'm going to sell. I already have Lion on a Thumb Drive ready to go in case of anything.

Hey I never told you but Apple picked me to be a Seeder for them. They gave me Lion Beta 6 months before it's release & my job was to report bugs. I met someone from this site on the Appleseed Discussion group. They are still using me. I also tested iCloud as well. A great experience for me. I never had that opportunity before.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool about being a tester. Fun and it makes you feel good about contributing. Any issues I now have I'll being thinking of you. Smile

Likely you are aware, but Speck makes a clear case if you want to keep the aluminum look. Personally, I lik the black better. There is already enough aluminum to look at. The satin finish does not show scratches. The clear is a traditional plastic so it does. The satin does show a bit of the oil from your fingers, but nothing to be concerned about. You can always wipe it down periodically. The black satin is also quite nice in that it subdues the luminescence of the Apple logo. It still apparent but not so in your face. The subtle look adds to its elegance.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rock & Roll NY Black will be my choice. It does look pretty cool in Black. No matter how much I learn about computers, there is always something that throws you for a loop. And when it comes down to it, you really don't know anything. I always think every computer has a mind of it's own. And just when I think I learn how to fix a particular issue, when you come across that issue again with another computer, it turns out to be a whole new can of worms! Smile So although Apple has made me a Seeder, I still know a lot less than you Mac for Life Veterans. One thing I don't do, is say I know something, when I don't!

Which of course brings me to a question. I will make a new Post for it, as to not go Off Topic.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
I think Rock & Roll NY Black will be my choice. It does look pretty cool in Black. No matter how much I learn about computers, there is always something that throws you for a loop. And when it comes down to it, you really don't know anything. I always think every computer has a mind of it's own. And just when I think I learn how to fix a particular issue, when you come across that issue again with another computer, it turns out to be a whole new can of worms! Smile So although Apple has made me a Seeder, I still know a lot less than you Mac for Life Veterans. One thing I don't do, is say I know something, when I don't!

Which of course brings me to a question. I will make a new Post for it, as to not go Off Topic.

Working at a computer store I can attest to the fact that I know very little compared to what can be known. When new hires start they are often overwhelmed. I try to comfort them in letting know that they are not alone. What you need to learn how to do, is use your resources effectively. I typically recommend learning one area very well. Specialize in something and people will then turn to you in that area.

As a team we can typically resolve any issue (similar to this forum). We have guys with strong backgrounds in music and graphic design, but the know very little about networking etc. When it comes to actually purchasing product, our techs often turn to the sales guys for advise. Even the guys in corporate who have been with our company for 15+ years come to me/us for product advice. Things change way to fast on the retail floor for them to keep up with everything new. I'm on holidays right now for a week. I can guarantee by the time I go back to work, things will have changed. There will be new products, issues etc.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your MBP purchase from B&H. I've bought a good deal from them over the years. More so than J&R cause of the service and store itself. It also sounds like you got a good deal, so you can't beat that.

I've actually been thinking about getting a case from Speck too. My concerns though are with heat dissipation and possible scratches from any shifting or dirt getting trapped. I don't know if those are really even valid concerns, but I want to look into them more. I do think black would be my choice of colors. Red and clear are in the back of my mind as well. I also haven't decided between the satin or clear. The satin supposedly has more grip for carrying, so that's the early lean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: