123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leather or fabric couch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Leather or fabric couch? Reply with quote

What would you rather have and why? I'm in the market for a new couch in our media room. I'm leaning towards a leather couch (never had one before), but I'm afraid of scratches from our dog. On the plus side though, I've heard that leather doesn't pick up pet odors as much.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with a leather one. I think, from my experience with the leather interior in my Lincoln, that they are easier to clean and maintain. Fabrics pick up stains pretty easily, and fluids can soak into the padding quicker.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also be easier to clean dog hair off a leather couch or seating. I needed to get out a Shop-Vac to clean our old couch. The hairs would get stuck in the grooves of the fabric. It was a royal pain in the neck. Now I get them all off with a damp cloth. It takes like a minute to clean the entire couch.
iLife's a Bitch!
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking for living room furniture a few years ago, I thought I wanted a black leather sectional. Seemed simple enough, I had all my measurements, all I had to do was go out and find something in my price range. I only wanted black and told myself I would never get brown. I looked and looked and finally found what I wanted. Once I found what I wanted, I decided that it wasn't what I wanted after all. Black was too dark and I just didn't like the feel of leather. Besides, some leather tends to retain heat and cold and that wasn't what I wanted. I ended up finding a sofa and loveseat set - at least that is what they are called, in brown microfiber that looks and feels like leather. They are both the same size and have recliners at both ends. Only difference is the loveseat is flat and the couch has a bottom drawer and a top storage space with built in cup holders (the one in the pic). Pics would explain it better than I can and I thought I had some but I don't and I'm not home to take any. This is the only one I could find, but I was taking a picture of the corner shelf I just put up, not the couch. I'm very happy with what I got and everyone that sits or lies on them comments how comfortable they are - especially reclined. Anyway, I guess check out leather as well as fabric and see what you prefer. You may be surprised and end up with something you never thought you would.

Good luck!!!

Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
jorgealarcon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Leather Couch Reply with quote

I would choose a leather couch. It'll look better and you would have an easier time with it.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather for a host of reasons; however just like fabric if you go cheap you'll have problems. But for the sake of spills, dogs, kids, etc. leather generally wears better. Our coach has handled 4 dogs, two kids and going on 12 years and still look good. We have a darker green leather with the faux leather sides and I can't tell the difference even after 12 years.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather is more prone to scratches, but it cleans up so much better. We've had a set from Simmons for over 4 years and it looks like the day we bought it. Even with our Labs getting up on the couch for the occasional snooze. It also does a better job of repelling pet odors.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with a leather set from Simmons upholstery.

http://www.unitedfurnitureindustries.com/products/id-5066

It came with a couch, loveseat, chair and storage ottoman. I got a decent deal too. It was $1299 for everything.

So far it seems to be a wise investment. It's WAY easier to clean. My fears of scratching don't seem to be coming true either. It's holding up really well. It's also nice and comfy. My back has never felt so good after watching a two hour movie. I could hardly get out of our old smelly one after doing so.

So, thanks for the comments. Much appreciated!
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
gaby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer leather cause it looks cozy and neat but it's easy to get damaged.

ohh! that looks nice! i like it so much! thanks for sharing the pic!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My leather set is almost identical. Very comfy to lie on. No pillow needed.

It should serve you well for many years. I have never seen a mark on my set. I've had it for more than 10 years. No pets or kids though.

As far as leather goes there are many different qualities out there. If it is died all the way through, even if it did get a scratch it's not very noticeable. The Sam scratch would likely have torn fabric.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pleather couch and chair about two years ago from Big Lots. It still looks like the day I bought it. In fact, I've read that pleather and blended leather couches can hold up better than real leather. They are supposedly less prone to cracking and staining from body oils. I do think that leather is less prone to puncturing though.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just bought a leather couch and chair a couple weeks ago at VCF. Finally got rid of our old stinky stuff. And when I say stinky... I mean sticky guys. There was lots of farting in that old NY man cave. Laughing
FElBorne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to have a chestnut brown comfy leather couch with a pull out leg rest, if possible..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: