123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade CD with 10.4 to ?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bprice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Upgrade CD with 10.4 to ????? Reply with quote

I have a core duo MM with Tiger 10.4 what is the highest OS I can upgrade and more importantly....where do I get it!!!.I only see Lion at the apple store and it has to have leopard to upgrade.?????

iMac i7 2.83ghz, 8gb ram 2tb ,HD ,SL 10.6.8
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can upgrade to 10.6.

I think you can still get 10.6 at a retail location like the Apple store, or Frys.

Apple's online store still has it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is his system specs at the bottom of the screen correct i thought you couldn't install snow leopard on a 1.66 or can you????

and i though you needed 2 gigs of ram for snow to run correctly and with only a 80 gig hard drive there might be some lag issues
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
is his system specs at the bottom of the screen correct i thought you couldn't install snow leopard on a 1.66 or can you????

and i though you needed 2 gigs of ram for snow to run correctly and with only a 80 gig hard drive there might be some lag issues

As long as you have an Intel Processor and 1GB RAM SL will run just fine.

You can view your memory usage within Activity Monitor.
If the page in are <10% of your page outs, you have enough RAM bases on your usage.

With an 80GB HD try not to fill it more than 60GB-70GB, or the system will slow down.

SL is the highest OS your computer can run. Get it while you can. Apple may discontinue selling SL, just like they did with Leopard.

I sell SL at my store. Your local retail may as well.
If not, you can order it from Apple for $29.
bprice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys
I apologize...I forgot I posted this.

My mini is getting long in tooth.It looks like SL is my only option for an OS upgrade since Leopard is no more.At least I'll be able to use my magic mouse on it.

bprice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy getting SL is no small feet.I called Mac mall and they said only Apple carrys it.Anyone know of a local non Apple store that might carry it or one that get shipped sooner than a WEEK!
I'm in Carson in the southbay of Los Angeles area 90810

or by some chance is there a way to buy another license for my iMac SL to run on my mini..

okay so I just went ahead and tried to install my SL..said it can't install.

Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frys in El Segundo or there abouts, or the local Apple store? Maybe Di-no in Pasadena?

If the 10.6 install disc is the one that came with your iMac, it will not install on to different system. If you wanna try eBay, make sure that you get a Retail OS X disc.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
bprice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation .It didn' t say why it won't install...now I know why...

bprice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wicked webs is weaved even deeper.From what I understand the SL apple sells isn't even full SL it is only an upgrade which is useless to me since I have Tiger.

I found a local apple resaler and they want $95!! to install SL ...with no disc!!.

Please I need ALL the info on this.Where can I get a FULL version of SL that is doesn't need a non existent version of leopard to upgrade from and that doesn't cost more than my MM is worth.

The other option is I'm just trying to get silverlightning to work so I can watch netflix.(even though SL would be nice so my wireless kb and mouse would work!!).Is Roku an option do INEED SL to run that TOO!!!....this may be my last apple anything...too many hoops and too much $$$$$

Thanks

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple sells OSX 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard). It is not an upgrade it is the full version. It does not require a previous OS installation of any sort. My store in Canada sells the exact same version.

You have been misinformed. Simply order SL online from Apple for $30 and install. End of story. It's really that simple.
bprice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Apple sells OSX 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard). It is not an upgrade it is the full version. It does not require a previous OS installation of any sort. My store in Canada sells the exact same version.

You have been misinformed. Simply order SL online from Apple for $30 and install. End of story. It's really that simple.

Thanks Bill ..nothing like faulty info to send you on a wild goose chase.I didn't trust "online" so I spoke to a rep and yep..this SL bypasses the need for Leopard...Those old CD are about to be obsolete

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bprice wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Thanks Bill ..nothing like faulty info to send you on a wild goose chase.I didn't trust "online" so I spoke to a rep and yep..this SL bypasses the need for Leopard...Those old CD are about to be obsolete

Glad I could help.

I recently purchased a copy myself after wanting to restore my mini from Lion back to SL. Otherwise I would have had to install the original OS 10.4, then upgrade to OS 10.5 then install OS 10.6, due to upgrade DVDs.

It's nice to have the full OS for $30.

Be glad you can get it. I have customers with G4 G5 machines ask me daily for 10.5.8 and you can't get it. Soon the same thing will happen with SL.

You'll be glad to have it.
strawbale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
You can view your memory usage within Activity Monitor.
If the page in are <10% of your page outs, you have enough RAM bases on your usage.

Just looked at mine: Page ins 260 MB, Page outs 0 ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: